The mkiv Supra Owners Club

best bov, and anybody got one for sale?

Branners

I finally got round to sorting out the map on my car and its now happy with 1.35bar. However the BOV is less than happy to say the least and its now a weak point in the system.

So, whats the best BOV to fit and has anybody got one for sale?

JB

Guest Phillw454

I have a hks ssqv (not on a supra though). Ment to be pretty top notch and fully adjustable aswell. Dont know about the rest of you but mine is quite loud but i love it:d

The HKS SSQV is not up to the job on my T67, many others are finding the same with them.

One that has worked on other cars is the cheap XS power one (SARD copy). I'll either be trying a racing BOV (not convinced these are better), or adding a 2nd BOV.

:wtf: Huh? Who cares what noise it makes?

I just want one that doesn't cause compressor stall. Other than that the quieter the better.

some people want loud, some want quiet, i consider the ssqv to be on the quiet side which suits me

The HKS SSQV is not up to the job on my T67, many others are finding the same with them.

One that has worked on other cars is the cheap XS power one (SARD copy). I'll either be trying a racing BOV (not convinced these are better), or adding a 2nd BOV.

in what way is not up to the job mate ? leaking ? i run mine pretty hard with no probs as yet

I have been offered a SARD one nice and cheap. Anybody got any experience on one of those?

noise isnt the key factor here (its a single turbo..its got enough noise already), its the ability to hold up to 1.35bar without flapping about in the wind. The stock BOV thats on there has done a stirling job, but I think now the car is properly mapped its not coping properly.

JB

IMO the best BOV is the one still in its box on a shelf. i haven't run a BOV on *ANY* performance turbo engine in 15 or more years. There is a load of guff spoken about them, they were actually introduced to stop the noise of the compressor when the throttle is lifted, now they are best known for *MAKING* silly noises. No high end race turbo engine I have come across uses them, from F1 down.

IMO the best BOV is the one still in its box on a shelf. i haven't run a BOV on *ANY* performance turbo engine in 15 or more years. There is a load of guff spoken about them, they were actually introduced to stop the noise of the compressor when the throttle is lifted, now they are best known for *MAKING* silly noises. No high end race turbo engine I have come across uses them, from F1 down.

ok, so then how do you set it up so that it does not use one? I thought turbo'd cars had to have them. :search:

BTW I use the Tial BOV, great item, on light lift-offs it doesn't open & I get that great compressor surge noise, changing gear on WOT it operates as normal, I think it's got a 7 PSI spring in, I assume that means I need to be generating more than 7 PSI of boost before it opens.

Yes, it's not a problem, it's no real "punishment" saver, nor any performance booster. They were purely fitted to reduce noise that most original purchasers would have found unusual and annoying.

Sorry but that makes me wince, I'd far rather recirc with a BOV!