The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Carbon Doors-weightloss

bolarbag

Just installed my carbon doors and f*ck me their beautiful!:D The standard doors weigh a fooking ton!

I'd say I've lost around 8-10kg minimum a door incl. removal of door speakers, the glass isnt as heavy as first thought, probably weighs around 3kg, the mirrors are around 2kg too

I'll try get pics up a.s.a.p until then, picture a blue supra with Carbon Fenders and Doors, it looks beastie!...:cool:

Bet it looks very nice. I recall something from a thread a while ago - do carbon fibre doors have any side impact protection, and is there a risk of you getting stabbed with shards of carbon fibre in the event of a side impact?

Looking at the side impact bar on the standard doors, its a bit of a joke, it is a pipe welded to the side of the door...like most car doors though.

I'm sorry to say but looking at side impact collisions on the sup, I've seen a few up close and some pics, were not gonna fair much chance anyways:rolleyes:

I already have a Rollcage, originally installed for chasis enhancement, but I'm looking into a full chromoly one straight through the car so my side impact protection will be 'uprated'

But straight forward question, has the level of protection decreased with carbon doors...yes:innocent:

Just installed my carbon doors and f*ck me their beautiful!:D The standard doors weigh a fooking ton!

I'd say I've lost around 8-10kg minimum a door incl. removal of door speakers, the glass isnt as heavy as first thought, probably weighs around 3kg, the mirrors are around 2kg too

I'll try get pics up a.s.a.p until then, picture a blue supra with Carbon Fenders and Doors, it looks beastie!...:cool:

are you taking her to jae mate would like a gander at her;)

I'd like to m8, but it would be a case of connecting up the new ic and radiator, running it with my old f-con, dont want to feel what its like until its finished...so basically no:(

I dont even know if I can get down there myself, I'm close to suicide on long journeys!;)

Is that dry carbon Chris?

2.8 Kilos:blink:...mines nowhere near that!

I'd say mines about 10Kg a door, not measured them yet

Quote*What did your insurance company say about removing factory crash reinforcing structures*

50quid please;)

Getting Supra ones done isn't a problem, but getting the FIRST pair made will cost serious wedge. Luckily someone else blew the development tooling costs for the first pair of the Skyline ones, but they were still more than I have admitted to the wife :) They were autoclaved, proper jobs.

You could probably get the supra doors down to around 4kg in carbon fibre using wetlay, which is considerably cheaper than pre-preg (autoclaved) stuff.

I guess its down to the person buying them to justify the additional cost of autoclaved composites for the additional weight saving over wetlay composites.

I'm basing that on some carbon doors I've done for an Alfa GTV, which are similar to the supra doors in size. The GTV doors where 3.75kg excluding windows and locks.

re_gtv_door_04_03_07_1.jpg

re_gtv_door_04_03_07_2.jpg

Long awaited pics:d Granted they look sh*t, the cars really dirty, and their not fully secured on but you get the idea...

http://file011b.bebo.com/9/large/2007/07/16/21/1339967026a4994526744l.jpg

http://file011b.bebo.com/9/large/2007/07/16/21/1339967026a4994528058l.jpg

with just the carbon Fenders...

http://file034b.bebo.com/9/large/2007/04/30/20/1339967026a4250672600b191522444l.jpg