The mkiv Supra Owners Club

The Best/Decent AEM Mapper in UK?

bolarbag

Heard so many different folk talking about aem mappers, and would like to gather list of the most consistent aem mappers in UK.

I thought I had confirmed who I'd be using but after recent events not so sure,

I always believed that you should confirm your mapper then buy ecu, bought the aem then all these stories start that makes me less than confident.

Say I got a max budget of 2K....so probably puts anyone getting flewn over out of the question.

Its not a crazy setup either, GT35R, 500rwhp, hopefully achieve that at 1.4bar, maybe 1.6 on occasion, uprated valve train, 720cc's, 264 Cams, 3-Row Stock bottom end, uprated head gasket e.t.c

Theres no point in asking anyone other than yourselves as its gonna be done over here.

Failing a decent list, what ecu should I change to and why?

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Valuable input as always Alex

Autronic SM4

Thats two ticks already;)

MoTeC

Was originally out of budget, but maybe an option now, who would be recommended to map it?

Apexi PFC

Does the job, very boring though, and not very worthy after this level of tuning in the future.

If you choose Motec I can recommend at least 4 high end mappers, but one will ONLY do engine dyno mapping, which is what I strongly advise as the best way for a safe and thorough result. You should also consider EFI Technology, DTA and MBE. Motec has the best availability of mappers, knowledge base and support of any high end ecu in the UK. EFI technology is possibly the best ECU without getting into stratospheric prices. Both support nearly any available engine config without buying bespoke sensors and making up none stock ignition systems. DTA and MBE require a more hands on approach.

Anyone who can map GEMS ecus should be happy to do an AEM, as the AEM is basically a GEMS ecu under licence. GEMS = General Engine Management Systems. Motec and EFI Technology have fabulous resale value, so the initial steep investment isn't too bad considering they are useful on nearly any engine and the marketplace is ALWAYS on the lookout for used units.

So motec m800? I'm really considering this, I want a very reliable single car, and I want this supra to run properly, if I sell the aem plus all the bits motec isnt too far from my reach.

Who is the most consistent Motec mapper in the UK, dont care where they are, I'd like to speak with them;)

How much time am I looking to map a motec and a rough cost?

PM UK-Rich Bolar if you're looking to go Motec too. He used a mapper from Noble or something IIRC and they did a sterling job on his mapping. Hence, he won car of the club and his car is faultless in every single way. It's a beast. :)

So motec m800? I'm really considering this, I want a very reliable single car, and I want this supra to run properly, if I sell the aem plus all the bits motec isnt too far from my reach.

Who is the most consistent Motec mapper in the UK, dont care where they are, I'd like to speak with them;)

How much time am I looking to map a motec and a rough cost?

Why do you say Motec m800 rather than m600? I have the m600 and it does everything I need.

Sorry guys i dont touch Aem
Really? I could've sworn you did do AEMs.

Why don't you?

PM UK-Rich Bolar if you're looking to go Motec too. He used a mapper from Noble or something IIRC and they did a sterling job on his mapping. Hence, he won car of the club and his car is faultless in every single way. It's a beast. :)
"Car Of The Club"? Never heard of it. When/where was this?

I did wonder if there where any differences between the M600 and the M800 other than the number of cylinders they control?

Is the M600 any cheaper:)

Prices or rough prices please, for ecu plus data logging/aquisition,

cheers for the info guys

F*ck me its almost half price!

The Autronic SM4+CDI500R and Mark Shead will £4£ be better than all the other options. They come fully unlocked and it will run auto manual and every feature you can think of....

Motec require you to buy every feature...ontop of the initial cost.

Heard so many different folk talking about aem mappers, and would like to gather list of the most consistent aem mappers in UK.

I thought I had confirmed who I'd be using but after recent events not so sure,

I always believed that you should confirm your mapper then buy ecu, bought the aem then all these stories start that makes me less than confident.

Say I got a max budget of 2K....so probably puts anyone getting flewn over out of the question.

Its not a crazy setup either, GT35R, 500rwhp, hopefully achieve that at 1.4bar, maybe 1.6 on occasion, uprated valve train, 720cc's, 264 Cams, 3-Row Stock bottom end, uprated head gasket e.t.c

Theres no point in asking anyone other than yourselves as its gonna be done over here.

Failing a decent list, what ecu should I change to and why?

I would highly recommend Steve Simpson @ TEG

He mapped mine and did a very good job, i know he has done a few high power supras on AEM as well, his main business is he maps for alot of the rally teams and flys around the world mapping.

Anyway he has a rolling road setup in Carnforth near Lancaster.

I have his details if needed

Mike

"My" mapper is too busy working abroad to do any Supras, apologies, I did ask him, but he can't commit to road cars at the moment. I recommend Owen Developments. They have done a few Motec installs on Supras and their mapper is very good on Motec stuff, they are also accredited Motec and Garrett agents. An m600 should be adequate for a manual MKIV. On an auto owen use the stock ecu to control the gearbox and the Motec does the engine functions.

Really? I could've sworn you did do AEMs.

Why don't you?

I have looked at a couple of aem ecu's for friends who have them but i would never want to map one fully just because every aem ecu i have been asked to look at has ended up being faulty and 2 of them were injector drivers which had failed. I would not want to commit myself to a ecu that i dont trust in reliability. To be fair to dan turner who has had alot of engines go south when he has been mapping them recently i would partial say that i bet some of the incidents were due to the ecu's bugs.

Who is the most consistent Motec mapper in the UK

In my mind its dave rowe at motec although he is a hard man to get hold of as constantly round the world mapping, when you get him to get only 1st class. And his prices are great

He is the man who also mapped the crd supra

Yup got to agree with the Dave Rowe call...definitely the best around for Motec and probably "the best around".

You'll see him noseying around at TOTB having a wee play with his laptop at most of the cars there as he generally has mapped most of the big tuner cars.

If anyone wants a serious engine mapping then Eric Pasteur at Swindon Racing Engines has more time mapping under his belt, on many different ECU's and a full range of engines from modern F1 to A series than probably anyone in the UK. Engine dyno only, and they are quite pricey, but if you want one of the top engine building companies in Europe it don't come cheap. has he ever had an engine let go on the dyno? Yep, dozens of them. It's what you have to accept when you decide Mr Toyotas work can be improved upon, or you want to wring everything from a race engine.

Dave Rowe is the reason i dont do motecs very often as he is just too damn good with them and i always want the best for my customers. But he wont touch anything else!!

He was the man who taught me the basics back when i started training

Out of interest Chris, how much would one be looking at for an engine dyno session. I mean obviously there's all the cost involved in hoiking an engine out, but I'm thinking it must be bloody costly as there must be lots of machining involved for the mounts and that kind of thing.