The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Lexan Glass?

bolarbag

Anyone know of a supplier of lexan glass (prefferably in the automotive industry)

I'm gonna contact jps I heard he uses it on his sup, just need a few prices, for both side windows and hatch

Is there any other alternative to lexan glass?

Who has the moulds to mould the stuff? I did some Lexan screens for a Special Saloon race car once, and it's a nightmare to mould properly. Reckon on 500 quid each for the moulds.

Expensive, I thought it would be a bitch with the curvature of the windows, it would be a shame to just keep the standard glass on my carbon doors, but I dont want some plastic riveted to make it look like a window, would still like the functionality of the leccy windows!;)

would still like the functionality of the leccy windows!;)

mate i hope you know what your taking on here, the action of leccy windows going up and down rubbing on the seals will scratch the shit out of the lexan and pretty soon you wont be able to see out of em, i would say this is total non starter

We can import the rears and hatch Lexan glass from Japan. We have just got the hatch lexan in and fitted to the carbon boot on the Envy car to try and remove a little bit of weight for racing.

Its a perfect fit and it was watertight at JapShow ;)

Regards,

Gaz.

Have you felt the weight of the doors?...and have you also felt the weight of the electric window mechanism, your talkin a couple of hundred grams.

I had thought about putting in a couple of lighter mechanisms, but then I'd save the same weight taking off my belt;)

My approach on this car is to have it as light as possible but to still retain the characteristics of the original supra I bought and loved, if I wanted an out and out track car I would have bought one.

It should be pretty damn close to an out and out track car when finished, I'm struggliing to find places to remove weight now, that 2jz lump is always in the back of my mind;)