The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Turbo blanket benefits

Ian W

Right guys

Done a search on here and am looking to find out, what's the benefits of having a turbo blanket on a single turbo supra?

Are they really worth it as opposed to having no blanket/shield at all?

Cheers

Ian

Well, a single turbo gets mega hot. It's not sited as low as the stockers and it doesn't have the same heat shielding as the stockers.

It's nearer the bonnet and other important items like the throttle cable, brake fluid reservoir, etc.

The heat from a single can blister the paint on your bonnet.

Well, a single turbo gets mega hot. It's not sited as low as the stockers and it doesn't have the same heat shielding as the stockers.

It's nearer the bonnet and other important items like the throttle cable, brake fluid reservoir, etc.

The heat from a single can blister the paint on your bonnet.

all sound like good reasons to me.

any detrimental effects to having one?

In addition to keeping other bits cooler, it makes the Turbo more efficient as heat = energy to the turbine of the turbo therefore the hotter the exhaust gases the more work can be extracted by the turbo. (thermodynamics and all that shit).

Only two:

1. They look shit.
  2. For what they are they cost a ridiculous amount of money.

so my thinking that they would keep a lot of heat inside the blanket and thus slow cooling = bad is a load of bollocks then? :D

Nah, he's serious (give or take ;) ) XS power turbo = £100, or less if you're lucky.

EDIT - waaaay tooo slow!

What ??? This thread gets top marks for eaily confusing me.......

£100 for turbo, what sort of turbo is that..........bet my arse could move more air then a £100 turbo..... :blink:

£100 for turbo, what sort of turbo is that..........bet my arse could move more air then a £100 turbo..... :blink:

It'll get you a POS Ash. I flogged my XS one for £80, they're pretty much garbage.

They're from old marine/diesel engine turbo shells

It'll get you a POS Ash. I flogged my XS one for £80, they're pretty much garbage.

whoa guys, i'm not looking to start a thread on whether an XS turbo is any good or not.

it's at the cheaper end of the market yes, and he's running low boost. it lasts as long as it lasts so i'm sure he'll deal with that if and when it happens to expire.

Thanks for your input re: turbo blankets, i'll advise him to look into getting one soon.

Ian