The mkiv Supra Owners Club

which one would u have ?? jap 6 speed or jap auto + money over for bpu's ??

satansbodyguard

Ah the eternal circle of life visits the forum again asking the same old questions, the answer t which can be found using the search button.

Or you could find out the answer yourself by driving both and seeing which one you prefer, because really in all honesty that's the only way you will answer your own question. It's a matter of personal choice, not opinion of others. :rolleyes:

There are always new questions and answers to be found everyday. I find I learn something new everyday.

The search button can be your friend. Familiarise yourself with it.

But really drive both and decide on what you like, that's the only way you'll find out.

ive been surching and looking this site since i decided to get a supra and the advice from people with real world experience has been invaluable and im sure im asking the same questions as the 100's of people before me but here's a cuple more lol

is the big bhp auto better to drive ( everyday ) than the big bhp manual ??

cuz its not how they drive now its how they drive when they are 99% done

has one type auto/manual proven to be better on the drag strip

Auto is better for drag racing due to power braking lol.

6 speed is a better drivers car IMO (of course) as you have more control of the power.

It really is a matter of personal taste though. The auto box won't hold as much power and the Getrag either without being modded.

Test drove both Auto was great for traffic but got the 6 speed as its not an every day car and also didnt like the horror stories of the auto's kick down. Plus nothing like the sound of a manual changing gear, theres a auto in town with a boostlogic exaust and it soulds like a bus when it changes gear as there is no pause in the rev's

I had an N/A before and test drove both to make sure before I got my current car. The manual really didn't suit me.

The best advice is definitely to drive both and see which you prefer.

With regards to big power - the standard 6sp manual is much stronger than the auto - BIG power auto applications tend not to make good road cars.

Test drove both Auto was great for traffic but got the 6 speed as its not an every day car and also didnt like the horror stories of the auto's kick down. Plus nothing like the sound of a manual changing gear, theres a auto in town with a boostlogic exaust and it soulds like a bus when it changes gear as there is no pause in the rev's

Horror stories of the Kickdown are all USER error. Trust me, I know!

As for the gear changes, the butterfly does cut the RPM momentarily in Auto mode and you will find the Manu mode does give an excellent sound (no different from the 6spd imo) and certainly does not sound like a bus. Off WOT on the overrun in 1st is truly something to be heard, and I only have a SuperDragger. :)

What horror stories would they be then? Kickdown is caused by the driver pushing on the right pedal. Push it too hard ,say midcorner and it'll catch you out. That's not the boxes fault. That's purely down to the driver. The autobox won't do anything that you don't ask of it and it certainly won't kickdown purely by magic.

:rolleyes: