The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Sell my Golf for a Supra?

Guest J_S

I'm currently driving a mk4 Golf GTI Turbo, I've had it for 18 months but I want to sell it and get an NA Supra. I've always liked Supras, whilst Golf's are really good cars, they're so common and a bit boring really. Before I sell Golfy I just want to check I haven't forgotten anything?! Here's my reasoning:

• My golf's worth 7k and I could pick up an NA Supra for 4k and pocket the 3k difference.
  • A Supra won't devalue over the years like a Golf will
  • Supra's are RWD - better handling than FWD cars
  • An NA Supra will be faster :)
  • Servicing! My Golf has a FVWSH, my last service was £350. VW garage servicing and parts are expensive!
  • I can get a Supra serviced at any garage (cheaper)
  • The insurance is actually very similar for both cars

The only negatives I can think of, is the MPG - My Golf gets 35MPG, an NA Supra will be 25MPG - and reliability - how reliable is a 15 year old car going to be?!

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• My golf's worth 7k and I could pick up an NA Supra for 4k and pocket the 3k difference. - Yep should be able too

• A Supra won't devalue over the years like a Golf will - cant devalue much more they are down to around 4k but will still devalue.

• Supra's are RWD - better handling than FWD cars - Modify the handling and keep 17" (max 18" wheels) and you can have a great handling supra
  • An NA Supra will be faster :) - Hmmm I doubt it

• Servicing! My Golf has a FVWSH, my last service was £350. VW garage servicing and parts are expensive! Service is about £250 from a trader on here

• I can get a Supra serviced at any garage (cheaper) To be honest on the NA id the servicing myself but just take it somewhere for cam belt

• The insurance is actually very similar for both cars

The Twin Turbo insurance is about the Same as the NA, unless yo uget a UK TT and then it halfs, all NA's are imports

The only negatives I can think of, is the MPG - My Golf gets 35MPG, an NA Supra will be 25MPG - and reliability - how reliable is a 15 year old car going to be?!

My NA supra just kept going and going, reason why....the NA engine is the same engine used in the TT just with different oil squirters, so its almost over engineered. I used mine as my daily driver for 3 yrs

Personally I'd keep the Golf. More common so less likely to worry about leaving it places or driving it. Plus you still have a turbo - they're also really tuneable. I've got a Mk2 with a 20v turbo engine - about 240bhp - and I reckon I could give my Supra tt a run for its money - which obviously isn't an idle brag as I own and drive both. Plus, Supra parts and servicing can be expensive too. Although the fact you could pocket some money - presuming you can get a decent na for £4k- is the real clincher I should imagine. Either way you'll have a good car though. RWD is fun and Supras are better looking.

An Integra's not an option, I had a couple of near-misses in the Golf because it's FWD. I've said to myself my next car has to be FWD or 4WD!

I would love a TT, my friend had UK one, took me for a drive and OMG I've never been in a car like it, so so quick (well before he wrote it off ;)) An auto TT isn't an option though, I won't have anything other than manual. A manual TT will take a bit of saving for, maybe one day but for now going to get a NA and get saving :) Plus I can't wait to save, I've put 50k on my Golf now, I want to sell it before I put many more miles on it.

An NA Supra will be faster - my 150bhp Golf does 0-60 in 8s, with an NA I can expect 6.5 - 7s right? 225bhp has to be quicker than 150bhp, even with a little extra weight.

An Integra's not an option, I had a couple of near-misses in the Golf because it's FWD. I've said to myself my next car has to be FWD or 4WD!

I would love a TT, my friend had UK one, took me for a drive and OMG I've never been in a car like it, so so quick (well before he wrote it off ;)) An auto TT isn't an option though, I won't have anything other than manual. A manual TT will take a bit of saving for, maybe one day but for now going to get a NA and get saving :) Plus I can't wait to save, I've put 50k on my Golf now, I want to sell it before I put many more miles on it.

An NA Supra will be faster - my 150bhp Golf does 0-60 in 8s, with an NA I can expect 6.5 - 7s right? 225bhp has to be quicker than 150bhp, even with a little extra weight.

Near misses in a FWD?? This is an honest question, have you ever driven a RWD, they are a different handling weapon altogether.. Where as FWD have a tendancy of understeer, RWD is oversteer at the limits...

To be fair a well driven golf would be a good match for an NA, and round a track might even be in the golf's favour.. You are comparing 15yr old EXCELLENT technology with modern GOOD technology, there isn't as much in it as you may think.

Personally I'd keep the Golf. More common so less likely to worry about leaving it places or driving it. Plus you still have a turbo - they're also really tuneable. I've got a Mk2 with a 20v turbo engine - about 240bhp - and I reckon I could give my Supra tt a run for its money - which obviously isn't an idle brag as I own and drive both. Plus, Supra parts and servicing can be expensive too. Although the fact you could pocket some money - presuming you can get a decent na for £4k- is the real clincher I should imagine. Either way you'll have a good car though. RWD is fun and Supras are better looking.

The Golf 1.8t engines are really tuneable - i know its easy to chip to 200bhp ish, but for me that's too much power going through the front wheels, I really want a RWD car. Yeah saving 3k is quite a big clincher, plus i'll be saving it AND at the same time getting a slightly faster car, with better handling, which is much much more unique (Golf mk4s are SO common!)

Near misses in a FWD?? This is an honest question, have you ever driven a RWD, they are a different handling weapon altogether.. Where as FWD have a tendancy of understeer, RWD is oversteer at the limits...

To be fair a well driven golf would be a good match for an NA, and round a track might even be in the golf's favour.. You are comparing 15yr old EXCELLENT technology with modern GOOD technology, there isn't as much in it as you may think.

If you're right, if I sell up i'll save 3k and not loose any performance :)

My friend has a RWD BMW and he can take corners so much faster than my Golf, the BMW is a much more balanced car but I also think the RWD thing has a lot to do with it. My Golf just doesnt seem to take corners well!

yeah go for it :), get yourself a nice facelift n/a though, load more nicer bits, ie new dash,lights,seats,diff colours to choose from and some had the larger brakes and 6 speed gearbox :)

It'll feel much faster than the golf and more fun, and regarding the FWD vs RWD thing, it's more skill than anything, if you drive 'normally' your not really going to notice any difference, and your friend might be cornering faster not due to his being RWD but the fact he may be a more skilled driver and have better tires?, the 2 most important things there :)

Well i'll have up to 7k to spend, would prefer spending nearer 4k but I don't mind spending extra if getting a facelift one looks that much nicer. First thing I'd do would be to replace the headlights for some facelift ones anyway so might make sense just to get a facelift model in the first place.

Don't know what it is with my Golf and corners, may it's just the driver! It's got 4 new michelin sport sp tyres so it can't be the tyres. Must be me then!

Theres another new guy just joined, hes looking for a bashed / tatty Supra as its the only way he can afford one. Begs the question as to whether he can afford to run it and keep it running when things wear out and break down. I'm not a Supra snob, but if you really want a Supra and have a £7 k budget I'd advise you to take your time and get the best you can find within that budget. Theres lots of reasons Supra prices are falling and becoming more affordable to buy...one of them is there are lots of dogs out there. There could be a world of difference between two similarly priced similarly aged Supras when it comes to reliability and condition...take time to learn what to look for and dont buy the first 'bargain' you see. I'd argue that a more expensive well looked after N/A could be a better overall buy than a cheap bargain TT for those on a limited budget.

I had a go in a Golf Tdi recently and, for the sort of driving I do daily, it was much more fun than my Supra.

hi mate i had golfs in the past,they come know where near a supra imo.make the change you won't be sorry.what part of oxfordshire are you from bud???

Well the opinion's been mixed, it's obvious that everyone has different driving styles and own cars for different reasons - I'm gonna take the plunge and get a Supra as I'm pretty confident that it'll be quite suited to me. If not I can always sell it :cool:

Oh yeah I'm from Wantage mate, what about you?

Theres another new guy just joined, hes looking for a bashed / tatty Supra as its the only way he can afford one. Begs the question as to whether he can afford to run it and keep it running when things wear out and break down. I'm not a Supra snob, but if you really want a Supra and have a £7 k budget I'd advise you to take your time and get the best you can find within that budget. Theres lots of reasons Supra prices are falling and becoming more affordable to buy...one of them is there are lots of dogs out there. There could be a world of difference between two similarly priced similarly aged Supras when it comes to reliability and condition...take time to learn what to look for and dont buy the first 'bargain' you see. I'd argue that a more expensive well looked after N/A could be a better overall buy than a cheap bargain TT for those on a limited budget.

Oh yeah I'll definately shop around and wait for a good'un. I guess Supras are getting a bit older now so there's a fair few dogs out there that have been ragged shitless! I'm lucky that I can get to work easily without a car so I can take my time over finding a nice one once the Golf's gone. Thanks for the advice buddy :)

I cant believe some of this lot were actually trying to talk you out of it........ :search:

Golf or a Supra, no contest in my eyes......:D

Im hunting about for a N/A Supra at the moment with a budget of 5k, and Im looking to grab a facelift model, one on here recently went for £4,2........ ;)

Why thankyou Sir, when is your beast back on the road? :rolleyes:

Rather than that rattle box of a car youre plodding about in hehehehe

Erm, how you know what I have been driving about.......???? :blink: Who is this :D

GVN start work this Monday, but not bothered about time as long as everything gets done right and there is a few things for them to do......but about 2 weeks probably.......

EDIT: This is Mel aint it....... ;)