The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Interesting Wide Band Test.

Tricky-Ricky

Actually the AEM came out well in that test, so I'm not sure what your point is :)

If you can wire it up to an ECU, like wot I do, the lack of onboard datalogging is a plus really, as you aren't paying for something you don't use. The latency is a bit meh though. And I'm sure the gauge reads .1 to .2 of an afr leaner than the sensor punts out the 5v line.

My biggest beef with the AEM unit is that it has trouble going richer than 11.4:1. Each unit is different, but they all bottom out between 11.4 and 10.4:1. The closer it is to 11.4 the more hassle it is to ease the AFRs up to that area for full boost :)

The innovative is a funky unit, I consider it a tad garish tbh with all it's lights :) It's mega configurable though, and the free air calibration feature I suppose is handy in the circumstances described (sensor wear) - having not experienced a worn sensor yet I just don't know. The onboard datalogging is great as long as you can sync it up to your revs, boost, etc etc, not sure how you'd do that. It also has no problem with going from 8:1 to 20+:1 afrs.

That's my take on it anyway :) I guess when my sensor starts going bad I'll cack meself when I see 17:1 afrs on full boost and then do a quick logging run to check the duty cycles, then swap the sensor out for my spare and see what happens :shrug: I recommend both to people who ask me which one to get. The AEM is better for people who want to keep a casual eye on the car and allow people to quickly check the fuelling out, the Innovate is more "power user".

-Ian

My AEM is certainly a little laggy in changing readings, but I'm well happy with it.

As Chris Wilson said not too long ago, a wideband AFR gauge is like a thermometer. It gives you an 'indication' of the reading, but shouldn't be watched with a constant eye. I suppose we worry too much sometimes about our AFRs.

Actually the AEM came out well in that test, so I'm not sure what your point is :)

-Ian

My point was the response times and the fact that its not re calabrateable, broaching the point made in the article, that you will not know when your sensor is giving problems, also the UGEO when used with the AEM ECU would give me a slight concern on high power configurations.

The data logging software on the Innovate is a fantastic piece of kit for tuning piggyback and stand alone ECUs i have used it with Apexi and both Emanages, and it has the capacity to be configured to mirror almost any map, which makes it very easy to correct the right box and not the one next to it, which is why its response time and accuracy is critical;)

I am sure the AEM and others are good and very useful, but i just prefer the Innovate as a very usefully tuning tool, and $50 price difference is very little considering.

And no i don't work for them:p