The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Southern Gumball Rally

mawby

Description

Given the success of the last two Hampshire based meets (Portsmouth/Southampton mini-meet and Hampshire mini-meet and barbecue) it's been suggested that our next meet could involve a southern county Gumball to try and allow as many people as possible to meet up at different locations. People in different areas would nominate suitable meeting points, we'd select one as the starting point and then post up the routes to the next one. People can then break off for home when they felt like it, and people could join when the convoy came through their area. The hard core amongst us can do the whole route! :D

The route may go through counties like Hampshire, Dorset, Somerset, Wiltshire, Berkshire, Surrey and Kent. If enough people want to join in (and it would have to be a fair few) we could make it a two day event so we're not doing to much driving in one day.... which is bad! :innocent:

This is obviously going to need a bit of organising if it's to be successfull. I'm more than willing to do this, but before I go charging in sorting things out I need to make sure enough people would be interested. So if you are get your name down now!

Once I have an idea of who's comming, from where and what date I'll start to sort out the pubs to meet at and the routes to get us there.

Details

Dates

Saturday 20th September (West part)

Sunday 21st September (East part)

Attendees

(Hampshire) Mawby - Sat & Sun

(Hampshire) Jive - Sat & Sun

(Hampshire) Ashley Willis - Sun

(Hampshire) millhouse - Sat & Sun

(Hampshire) p00t

(Hampshire) Timwildman - Sat & Sun

(Hampshire) Suprachargedtt - Sat

(Somerset) Green Supra - Sat

(Berkshire) pulse - Sat & Sun

(Berkshire) roboldham - Sat

(Wiltshire) lust2luv - Sat

(Wiltshire) Ouzolover - Sat

(Dorset) SimonB - Sat

(Surrey) Faye - Sun

(Surrey) far - Sun

(Surrey) Scooter - Sun

(Surrey) HISUPE - Sun

(Surrey) Matt B - Sun

(Surrey) Dark Angel - Sun

(Surrey) Supragal - Sun

(Kent) Geezabloke - Sun

(Kent) Steve W - Sun

(Kent) Earthrokka - Sun

(Kent) Rav - Sun

(Kent) Scott - Sun

Route Details

Can be found here.

• Replies 414
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Which counties to visit?

Most in the south & south east

Which pubs to visit in those counties?

I will sheep this one (not bothered go with the flock)

One day event or two?

1 day imo as we will need sunday to rest before work on Monday

If two, do we want to stop at the Haynes motor museum in Yeovil on the Saturday?

Pref 1 day but the museum thingy sounds good

Supra only or invite selected other groups

The more the merryer (sp?) selected performance Jap cars though (as has been suggested previously) I would say SKYLINE,GTO,ZED and maybe SCOOBIES as this would be more of an attention grabber if 20+ soops flying down the motorway doesnt do it for ya .:flame Dev

oh BTW we should add our location so organisers have a better idea when it comes to planning the route.

L O C A T I O N = Redhill,Surrey.

;)

Rather than having loads of copies of lists flying around as people add/remove their names etc, I'll be maintaining the first post with all the details as and when decided. That way it will be much easier for anyone first visiting the thread to understand whats going on.

As you can see I've started already with the locations. :cool:

Ok but I reckon we keep it Supe only personally - but whatever works really.

I don't think the Haynes idea will work with HUGE numbers of motas - especially if track use is required - but I imagine they can accommodate many visitors in the carpark :-)

When numbers / route / locations get settled upon I will enquire with Mr H.

R

I'm actually Buckinghamshire not Berkshire, but close :) "Near Oxford", about half way between Oxford and Milton Keynes is where Aylesbury sits. I dunno if oyu kids would want to come out this far, but there ARE other Aylesbury Supe's (Mark Kindell and a few random ones I see around that don't appear to care or know about this site).. mfs is in Bicester, just down the road, and somebody else is in Hemel, likewise just down the road.. and further somebody else in Oxfordshire which can't be too far from here. I'd really like to meet some of the local boys, I've only met the Portsmouth/Southampton people so far.

So.. give me a yell if you want to come out Aylesbury way -

My thoughts are that I'll probably head towards the starting point, I'd be up for making a day out of it, so don't worry about coming this far out to pick me up or anything (it's 90-100 miles each way from Portsmouth to Aylesbury, based on my trip to Lee-On-The-Solvent).

Answers:

1) As many as possible (but not so all we do is spend all day driving - although it's lovely to drive the Supe, this is a "meet" afterall - and if we're stopping at numerous pubs, we won't be able to do a massive trip in 1 day)

2) I can nominate a couple of pubs with decent parking if you want to come to Aylesbury, but be forwarned all the pubs here suck.

3) 1 or 2 day doesn't bother me all that much, I see positives and negatives to both.. but if it's 1 day, I think we should try and cut down running around like blue assed somethings. One stop per county, for an hour or so? Guess this comes down to 'how many counties?'

4) I reckon Supes only personally.

Mawby: Let me know if you need any help organising, I'll do what I can - I can see a logistical nightmare trying to figure this out.

-p

Just so we're all looking at the same map to try and figure these things out, I propose this one.

It's straight from my Michelin street atlas thingy, and it has an excellent route facility (far better than multimap's anyway), so route planning should be pretty easy with it if you'd like.

You can see Aylesbury below where it says "BUCKINGHAM" in bright yellow. Would people be happy coming that far out? As you can see, it's a fair hike from Portsmouth/etc - I can see this being an expensive fuel day :)

Note: Due to the 200k filesize limit on this BBS, I've had to resize the image a lot, so it may not be as useful :)

The original is available at:

http://www.web-axis.net/~pulse/map.jpg (600kb)

-p

se-england.jpg

Originally posted by pulse

I'm actually Buckinghamshire not Berkshire, but close :)

I was trying to match people to the closest county from the original list above rather than where everyone actually is. Hopefully that way we get better results as to which counties most people can get to. ;)

Originally posted by Timwildman

I'm intrested, and as you cant tell a bit new to this.

I'm from Bournemouth, but i dont mind going to Hampshire or another neighboring county.

Well thats 3 people from on here around your area that I know of, you, SimonB and another newbie who's in Ferndown.

Welcome to the forum by the way :)

Right, my input as follows

Dates, can do both as said in previous thread.

Counties - as many as possible, am willing to travel all over the place, dont get out that often :)

Pubs - think we'll need help from people in other counties here.

Days - 2 but people can do 1 if they want.

Invitees - Supras only (my own prefernce but will bow down to the general opinion)

Motor Museum - Go for it.

Mawby, if you need any help with this then give me a shout, as Pulse said.....this could be the logistical nightmare of your life!! :D

Originally posted by Jive

Mawby, if you need any help with this then give me a shout, as Pulse said.....this could be the logistical nightmare of your life!! :D

Cheers, and I will do! For the next couple of days I just want to get an idea of who's interested on whats days, and where most people will be travelling from. Then I'm thinking of starting posts in the chit-chat section for each county to allow people local to the area to decide where we should all go. Finally I'll work out with those people the best routes to take. See, easy really! :blink:

Originally posted by Jive

Awaiting your PM with screams of HEEEEEELLLLLPPPPP!!!!! ;)

:D

I can hear the cogs grinding already ;)

Mawby: Ah okay, cool.. I'll take it from that Berkshire is close to me, then :)

As I say, I'll probably come down to the 'starting line' and do the whole trip, it's not like I ever have anything better to do than drive my Supe! And yeah, 1 or 2 days are both A-OK by me.

-p

Originally posted by Faye

I'll have a spare seat which you're welcome to occupy, but I would imagine that you'll be inundated with offers from the chaps on the board!!!

Cheers matey, I'll keep an eye on this thread for updates with regards to dates and stuff... :thumbs:

Originally posted by MONKEYmark

all the best with it. how come we dont have anything like this up north :(

But you have loads of mini-meets up north anyway, you could always do the same and organise something for the same days.

At least that way we'd know that we're all doing the same thing on the same day, just different locations :D :thumbs:

I'm intrested, and as you cant tell a bit new to this.

I'm from Bournemouth, but i dont mind going to Hampshire or another neighboring county

Welcome to the board :thumbs:

Monkey - why not just come down south and make a weekend of it ? afterall its not that far away