The mkiv Supra Owners Club

super charging is it better than a big single?

twijesiri

Hi All

Having never driven a super charged car, am I right in thinking that super charging a Supra would give you full access to you BHP through out the rev range? As apposed to a TT single converstion, when you get a sudden hit of power when the turbo kicks in.

If this were the case, I would think it would be better to get super charger conversion rather than a big single turbo. Does any one know what are the pros and cons of supercharging?

I got a N/A and was thinking of getting a TT conversion but I am now thinking about a supercharger, Sorry if this is a stupid question but I just wanted a few opinions!

Better than a small single?... Possibly, I'd still love to see someone do it.

I too would like to see the result of a suprcharged 2jz, am sure its been done many of times over in the lexus community,

but I reckon it would be more on par with a nicely set up bpu supra rather than a small single

I dont think its a better method for low down power, small singles spool up very quickly and would produce more top end than an SC. A SC maybe a cheaper less complicated route to go down, if there were available kits for one.

I remember Arnout in Holland was building a VVti SC and Turbo'd car.. now that would be fun :D

Supercharging will definitely end up in higher fuel consumption.

It will not neccessarily end up in more power down low, if you go for a centrifugal blower you won't have appreciable boost below 4K rpm - but you'll be able to have a decent FMIC

If you go for positive displacement SCs then yes, you'll get low-down oomph but intercooling will be limited, as will the available boost.

Plus you'll be paying for the parasitic drag all the time (on good setups you actually don't, but the mere thought would drive me nuts!)

the supercharger can fit fine on the vvti supras, as the alternator is out of the way.

Is it? (I presume you're talking about vvti NA Supras, 'cos the VVTi TT alternator is in the same place as on the older pre-VVTi ones)

UM no the actual reason you can fit a centrifugal supercharger to a VVTi and not a non VVTi is distributor based ie the non VVTi dissy is in the way. Financially its just viable if you do it on a VVTi other wise you are removing aircon pumps or something like that to fit it. I think personally that an urban driven car would benefit alot more from a supercharger than a turbo outfit. But I have said all that before. Having gone from an N/A to a well setup BPU+++ stock tubby J-spec and seeing how cheap they are becoming available now (you can now buy a whole BPU car for less than the price of the S/C kit and first fabrication costs associatted with fitting to an untested application) its really not worth the effort. If however you want a totally different idea and are running a show car with a nice budget a supercharger would set you aside from the crowd.

use the search button mate,been coverd a few times

Yes, but things change.

I am currently working on a supercharger install and have been for some time. I hope by thursday evening I can post a picture of my Eaton M90 installed in place. It won't be connected but should be mounted.

I have had to do loads of fabrication to mount it above the exhaust manifold and where the turbos would sit. The Eaton unit is going to be mounted on a special plate which extends out longer than it's snout. At the end of the plate there is a pillow bearing which supports an extension shaft that passes between the dizzy and alternator.

Various methods of driving the supercharger were considered, with hindsight, if I could have found an alternator with a PTO at the rear to fit this would have been much easier but I am beyond the point of no return now with the method chosen.

Initially I am leaving the compression ratio as stock and will only be running very low boost. There will be a bypass valve incorporated for low revs and this is taken from a ford sc set up. Boost will be determined by pully size initially and at first I am going to use the stock 330 injectors and stock fuel pump, but adding a SAFC2 to tweak fuelling. Once I am happy with the reliability I will look at increased fueling and boost.

Is it worth it? No! I have spent loads of cash and loads of time and should have paid Jezz and the boys for a TT lump.

But if I can complete it, it will be a first I think. The NA-T site has been an invaluable source of information and inspiration throughout and if it had not been for work commitments I would have had it completed a long time ago. Even if we don't get the bracket mounted tomorrow I will take some pics and post them of the set up so far.

The bracket is being made for me at a place in Putney and I have to get the car down there when it is convenient for them as well as me and this has so far been the big delay. Evertime they can fit it in I have to work away, or something happens. But i hope tomorrow will be the day.

Cool. Its the fabrication work that costs the time effort and money. A bolt on kit when developed wouldn't actually cost that much.

I have asked the guy who is helping me with the bracket and extension shaft to keep accurate drawings and photos for anyone else who fancies trying it once I have mine up and running. He says it would be a fraction of the cost I will have paid to make subsequent brackets. Put it this way, he is a proffesional blacksmith/steel fabricator and so far my car has been down to him twice. Tomorrow will be the third and I hope the last time. He is very in demand and I know his dailly rate is around £350. In fairness he is someone we use at work for special projects and because of the work I put his way, he will look after me in terms of price. But I still expect to pay a fair amount when he is done.

However, I still wish I had looked a bit harder and found an alternator to fit with a PTO on the back, this would have made it so so much easier. Ahhh hindsight!

I am also on the look out for some 440cc injectors from a Mkiii if anyone knows of some going for right price? Bear in mind they have to be cheap enough to pay for re-calibration and still be cheaper than a new set.

Glad to hear it's coming along nicely Shane. As said before I really can't wait to see (and hear) this up and running.

Reckon you had the best idea with the TT transplant Jim.

Lets hope the noise it makes isn't the noise of meltdown!

Hey, looking at the news last night from my air conditioned Parisian hotel room I bet you wished you had a boat, not a car?;)

I am also on the look out for some 440cc injectors from a Mkiii if anyone knows of some going for right price? Bear in mind they have to be cheap enough to pay for re-calibration and still be cheaper than a new set.

Chap 440's should be knocking around in abundance from Mk4s for little or free. That said I would actually go with a set of stock UK 550's if you are putting an SAFC based tuning pc on the car. They aren't huge money and they give you tunability right up to and a little beyond the ability of a roots supercharger.

As for the plans for this charger I would not be so quick to allow copyright infringement on this. If you've spent a lot of time effort and hard cash on it which you will have done I wouldn't just give that away. If someone wants to build kits based on your info then I would expect some return on that. R&D is the reason why you pay a huge percentage more for an astra over a nexia par examlee

Chap 440's should be knocking around in abundance from Mk4s for little or free. That said I would actually go with a set of stock UK 550's if you are putting an SAFC based tuning pc on the car. They aren't huge money and they give you tunability right up to and a little beyond the ability of a roots supercharger.

As for the plans for this charger I would not be so quick to allow copyright infringement on this. If you've spent a lot of time effort and hard cash on it which you will have done I wouldn't just give that away. If someone wants to build kits based on your info then I would expect some return on that. R&D is the reason why you pay a huge percentage more for an astra over a nexia par examlee

I thought 440s from Mkiv's were not a direct replacement with the NA fuel rail? OK re 550s, thanks for the advice.