The mkiv Supra Owners Club

dyno readings

gaz1

had my car mapped friday i cannot find my camera lead so cannot post results:( not that impressed with the results, what do you think, i am running a gt40/88 with 264/ 264 cams hks wastegate, hks dli, its running with aem, at low boost 1 bar it made corrected power 451 bhp, engine power 440bhp, and wheel power 343bhp, on high boost corrected power was 511bhp, engine power was 499 bhp, wheel power was 396 bhp, drag power 102 bhp, max power at 6735rpm/240km/h, torque 615 nm, max torque at 5410rpm / 193km.h, max attained rpm 6775rpm/ 242 km/h ambient temp 28,8 intake temp 23,2....... any advice welcomed;)

But how does it feel ?

I'm sure the experts will be along any minute :)

she does feel fast even in the high gears little concerned that after several blasts the manifold and the hot side was actualy glowing red:blink: not sure if this is normal, but i no the bloody boost pipes keep melting:(

does your manifold have heat wrap ??

I think we have very similar spec apart from my turbo

Mine made 570 BHP engine hp at 1.4 bar but then it went pop after so there is not much point in big numbers if you break it :(

I would be asking to get it wrapped though to prevent heat damage to pipes and electrical wires

My turbo is off at the moment, and I am taking the manifold off too, so I am gonna wrap my manifold to keep the heat out of that area and get a turbo blanket for the hotside.

I might just buy a new manifold, will let you know if I'm selling mine.

Did Dan say that it was finished ? Did he have a chat with you about the results ?

Sounds OK for 1 bar of boost, what was your "high boost" value?

-Ian

high boost was 1.4

on high boost corrected power was 511bhp, engine power was 499 bhp, wheel power was 396 bhp, drag power 102 bhp, max power at 6735rpm/240km/h, torque 615 nm, max torque at 5410rpm / 193km.h, max attained rpm 6775rpm/ 242 km/h ambient temp 28,8 intake temp 23,2....... any advice welcomed

...not that impressed with the results, what do you think,....... any advice welcomed;)

I think that you need some repeatable, objective figures.

Get yourself an accelerometer and time 0-100 or something that suits you and your 'test' straights.

If 'before' you see 12 seconds and 'after' you see 9 seconds, then you know you're on to a winner, despite it feeling slower.

The feeling of going fast can be deceptive - it depends a lot on how the power is being delivered, not how much power is delivered. So a peaky engine will feel faster than one that is equally powerful but torquier (and will be genuinely faster;))

I saw Private Piles car all be it with a built engine and greddy intake make well over 600 with the same turbo and pump fuel, did Dan explain why the numbers seem a little on the ' low ' side, perhaps he was being cautious ;)

well to be honest he said take little notice about the numbers, its the power delivery that counts i.e torque:search:

I think that you need some repeatable, objective figures.

Get yourself an accelerometer and time 0-100 or something that suits you and your 'test' straights.

If 'before' you see 12 seconds and 'after' you see 9 seconds, then you know you're on to a winner, despite it feeling slower.

The feeling of going fast can be deceptive - it depends a lot on how the power is being delivered, not how much power is delivered. So a peaky engine will feel faster than one that is equally powerful but torquier (and will be genuinely faster;))

very simaler to what my mapper said;)

In a previous life I used to have a very peaky 130-140bhp bike (kawasaki 750turbo)

It felt deceptively fast because all the power came in a mad rush between 7 and 10K rpm - down low it was a lazy, detuned 810cc lump.

People with genuinely faster bikes (much later 1100s with 150bhp on tap) would ride mine and *swear* that it was much faster than theirs.

I would bullshit and hype them, but I would never pitch mine on a fair race because I knew I'd lose - theirs were stock, torquey large lumps with better aerodynamics, suspensions and tyres.

Mine was a tuned, obsolete peaky lump with brick aeros, skinny tyres and fuelled by bollox (I would claim it was 200bhp and nobody would dispute it lol)

But the power delivery was so deceptive that nobody would believe it wasn't even 150bhp after having ridden it.;)

she does feel fast even in the high gears little concerned that after several blasts the manifold and the hot side was actualy glowing red:blink: not sure if this is normal, but i no the bloody boost pipes keep melting:(

That is completely normal Gaz. Just make sure you do not have any flammable materials (dodgy hoses and such) near the manifold/down pipe.

high boost was 1.4

on high boost corrected power was 511bhp, engine power was 499 bhp, wheel power was 396 bhp, drag power 102 bhp, max power at 6735rpm/240km/h, torque 615 nm, max torque at 5410rpm / 193km.h, max attained rpm 6775rpm/ 242 km/h ambient temp 28,8 intake temp 23,2....... any advice welcomed

It's always difficult to compare figures between different dynos and setups. Are you able to test drive or get a ride in another car with same turbo and see how they compare?

They do seem a little low in comparison with mine (542 fwhp) which is running the smaller GT35R, but as I say the seat of the pants comparison with another similar setup, may give you a better idea.

The dyno it was mapped on generally reads low, not sure if it's a traction issue as I believe Dan uses a strap through the car to hold it down. I might be wrong but I thought he did.

If he does use a strap through the car, I would've thought that all that is doing is compressing the springs, but I'm no expert.

Glad to see it's holding boost well now :) That's the most important thing.

For a 6-speed your powertrain losses are high.

I know it's costly but getting a dyno run on a few different dyno's should give you a good feel for where the car is at.