The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Powerhouse/MVP/HKS 3.4 stroker

tooquicktostop

Maybe I'm overstepping the mark from your original post, but may I ask why you are thinking about getting a stroker kit? Is it for a specific reason (i.e. aiming for a small gain in lower spool time, at the expense of high rpm), or simply because you have the opportunity at getting one?

From previous posts by those in the know, it seems like a huge expense for very little gain.

Maybe I'm overstepping the mark from your original post, but may I ask why you are thinking about getting a stroker kit? Is it for a specific reason (i.e. aiming for a small gain in lower spool time, at the expense of high rpm), or simply because you have the opportunity at getting one?

From previous posts by those in the know, it seems like a huge expense for very little gain.

I am just investigating all my options really as I have found myself in the position of having to rebuild (or just drop in a second hand engine perhaps) , the stroker delivered that bit extra power in the R32 and gave a slightly quicker spool, besides I would be telling porkies if I did not want one just to be the first :D

Actually I think there is someone else who's just taken delivery of one of those stroker kits, can't recall who though.

You know my opinions already, bung in a 2nd hand engine and look after it - fastest and cheapest way to get back on the road and you can rebuild your current engine when you get to it.

A 3.4 stroker kit is, I think, such a low bang-per-buck ratio that it's not worth it. However I would like you to buy my brand new 272 intake cam ;)

-Ian

Actually I think there is someone else who's just taken delivery of one of those stroker kits, can't recall who though.

You know my opinions already, bung in a 2nd hand engine and look after it - fastest and cheapest way to get back on the road and you can rebuild your current engine when you get to it.

A 3.4 stroker kit is, I think, such a low bang-per-buck ratio that it's not worth it. However I would like you to buy my brand new 272 intake cam ;)

-Ian

This maybe the quickest way back to getting up and running again and e bay has 3 engines for sale at present all at £800 - £1000 mark, this would give me time to get the build together, the 3.2 JUN kit does seem to have all the right very high quality parts ?

I can see where you're coming from here.

What does the Jun kit come with? Pistons, rods, crank, anything else? Jun have a superb reputation... their pistons are made by Cosworth.

Do you know for sure that your current block is okay? If it needs boring it might not be usable for the stroker kit

I can see where you're coming from here.

What does the Jun kit come with? Pistons, rods, crank, anything else? Jun have a superb reputation... their pistons are made by Cosworth.

Do you know for sure that your current block is okay? If it needs boring it might not be usable for the stroker kit

The head comes off tomorrow morning but no compression on 1,2 and 3 cylinder :(

I would purchase a new short block for a JUN kit, no point adding such quality to a 'damaged' block

http://www.junauto.co.jp/products/cylinderblock-part/crankshaft/2jz.html?en :D

The JUN pistons are 87mm (1mm oversize) so provided it's not already been bored out or has some serious damage, then it should be okay.

The head comes off tomorrow morning but no compression on 1,2 and 3 cylinder :(

I would purchase a new short block for a JUN kit, no point adding such quality to a 'damaged' block

http://www.junauto.co.jp/products/cylinderblock-part/crankshaft/2jz.html?en :D

The block should be okay unless there's been major damage done, there must be a few second hand blocks out there available even if it is. No point going for a new block if you then need to bore it out anyway to accept the larger diameter pistons.

The block should be okay unless there's been major damage done, there must be a few second hand blocks out there available even if it is. No point going for a new block if you then need to bore it out anyway to accept the larger diameter pistons.

Good point, and all going on my valuable experience note pad, you never know by the end of this year I might actually have learnt something :D

1. JUN 3.2 not HKS 3.4

2. No new block needed if not damaged

3. Dont run 1.75bar through a standard engine on 97ron :(

4. Black is the best and fastest colour :)

Robbie is running a JUN 3.2, he's well impressed with it's strength.

Some thoughts off the top of my head...

I would NOT replace your crank (the bit that ups the stroke). In your situation I would either, replace with a known good engine or hone the existing engine bores, replace the rods with carillo's and fit some 86.5-87mm pistons (CP's...or JUN of you can afford them). I would keep the HG thin don't be tempted to lower the compression with a thicker one ala the HKS 2mm one. Don't use 272cams (sorry Ian :) ) , they are too wild for your usage, stick with 256 or 264's so you have good spool and midrange. Do totally strip the engine down and acid bath it. Do replace your crank bearings. Use OEM stretch bolts to mount the head....

HTH.

Well opened up my engine today and its all a big mess, melted piston on #2 cylinder and the head damaged beyond repair, so a new engine needed :(

Not good news about the head Dean :(

Any idea how/why it failed?

Any :Pics:

:sorry: I have a morbid fascination with busted engines, well until I saw mine which nearly brought me to tears :cry: