The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Max wheel size for non turbo?

Guest bowman

Guest bowman

My brother has just ordered a set of 19" rims 8.5 front 9.5 rears.

Rears having 275/30/19 tyres. The guy has told the rears are to big and will foul the arches (I think this is poo), and he has offered him a set 8.5 front and rear with 235/35 instead. Which would be alot cheaper. I feel the bloke is trying it on......

Can any one comment, sorry i dont know the offset.

thanks in advance!:innocent:

My brother has just ordered a set of 19" rims 8.5 front 9.5 rears.

Rears having 275/30/19 tyres. The guy has told the rears are to big and will foul the arches (I think this is poo), and he has offered him a set 8.5 front and rear with 235/35 instead. Which would be alot cheaper. I feel the bloke is trying it on......

Can any one comment, sorry i dont know the offset.

thanks in advance!:innocent:

He's tryin' it on. Rear wheel drive car should have wider on the rear.

I'm running 8.5 / 9.5 18's because I went for the handling + style. I know of a fair few people running 19's but nobody will defineately comment on handling, so I went safe. Even during fitting the guys slagged me for not having 19's instead.

Looks = 19 Handling = 8.5 / 9.5 's.18's or 8 + 10's x 18's. 265's on 9.5 rims are no problem with clearance, 275's could be problematic but don't think so. Apparently the offset for the 8.5 and 9.5 is just about perfect fot stock arches. It certainly looks it.

Guest bowman

i would nt want my brother to spend a grand on wheels that dont fill the arches properly.

My first thoughts were that he cant honour the price he quoted.

thanks for the advice guys.

Guest bowman

right....... 25mm offset is going to foul the arches. I dont think there will be enough lip to grid away to fit them, rolling them nearly always results in rot a year or so later... so dont want that.

so we are going will the 8.5 front and rear with 37mm offset. Rears will be spaced by them by 10mm or so, and will be fitted with a 255/30/r19, so although the rim with be the same width the tyres will be wider....

cheers guys....;)

My N/A came with 215/45/17 fronts and 235/45/17 rears. Im about to either change them or get a set of 18s. Either way they're going. Ive not driven a supra with the propper sizes on but i hope its better. Those sizes are not good for the handling as far as i can tell. 235/45/17 and 255/40/17 for sure unless i go for the 18s when it'll be 235/40/18 and 255/35/18. Think thats right and wide enough.

Interesting (and timely for me) post. My NA is sitting on:

Front - 225/40R18 - 8

Rear - 255/35/R18 - 8

Although it handles well with no oversteer, the rears need to sit further out to fill the arches better, probably by another 10mm.

If I had the dosh, 19" would definitely look better, with more offset. Weather or not you feel your choice affects your handling only you will be able to tell.

Hope it works out well, you seem to have made your decision anyway ;)

L

x