The mkiv Supra Owners Club

is there a big disadvantage to an auto box in a tuned supra

satansbodyguard

i know its must of been asked before but ive searched the forum and can't find anything so sorry for asking but here goes lol

is there a big disadvantage to an auto box in a tuned supra over one with a manual box ??

as tt supra's with auto boxes are cheaper and that money could be put to making it go faster he he

or is it better to wait and spend more on one with a manual box ???

thnx

Nigel

i know its must of been asked before but ive searched the forum and can't find anything so sorry for asking but here goes lol

is there a big disadvantage to an auto box in a tuned supra over one with a manual box ??

as tt supra's with auto boxes are cheaper and that money could be put to making it go faster he he

or is it better to wait and spend more on one with a manual box ???

thnx

Nigel

Hi

I was running 500+ through mine and it finally started slipping, it is a great box but if you are looking to put big power through it it has its limitations, if you have to have auto I hear the BL box is good ;)

The disadvantage is the autobox will "only" IRO 500bhp.

Alot of people have been converting theirs to 6sp manuals but you're looking at circa £2.5K + labour to do that.

You could buy an uprated box but they also cost £££'s so it depends on what sort of power you are looking for.

Robbie a member here runs a BL T67 turbo with an uprated auto box and some other bits and can run his car in the 10's - 11's all day long.

What sort or power are you wanting?

If going for big/turbo hp on an auto box, you'll also need to change the torque convertor to get the best out of the turbo.

The difference in price between buying an auto or manual is neither here nor there really if you're wanting BIG power, as you'll spend a shed load more money on each setup anyway in the long run.

Any idea how much the labour would be?

Surj

Some traders have done an all-in conversion for £3k, but thats rare. It would be cheaper to buy and install a built auto box than to convert to manual.

IMO, the biggest issue with the 6spd conversion is finding the parts for it in the first place. QSD have something like 20 people waiting for the 6spd kits right now.

The autobox is designed to worth with a 320hp car, with the power & torque curves of a stock car, I persoanly wouldn't want some mega hp autoboxed car, but having said that some people put singles on cars with tiny brakes and would rather spend the difference in the fnacy dress shop.

I'd certainly consider a 5spd conversion over the 6spd if the parts are cheaper and more plentiful as I have no plans to replace my turbos for bigger items in this car.

What's the actual shift like on the 5spd- does it feel the same or is it sweeter or more agricultural than the 6spd box?

Driving an auto is rubbish :innocent: press and go :D

I completely disagree... i have both cars running and the triptonic setup that i have with the auto is great even without using the buttons. Its only bad if you have never experianced the 2 driving a 6 speed is nice , then you put the upgraded flywheel / then the upgraded clutch . Next thing you know you got chatter !! and huge calf muscles.Yes driving an auto is put your foot down and it goes , but when you get used to the gear change , you can work it very well .

I thing most people upgrade to 6speed because they have been told the autobox wont hold anything over 500hp ... well just invest in a built unit .

Apparently tuned auto boxes are a right bitch to drive around town. No experience though, just going with everyone's experience.

As far as I understand, it's not the box that makes it a bitch, it's if the owner has fitted a high stall TC.

Driving an auto is rubbish :innocent: press and go :D

hahaha and i'll out accelerate you on low boost in your manwell no probs:D, seriously i run a BL box on a T61 with a 3200 hi stall and whoever said they are a bitch to drive obviously hasn't driven one, they go from cruiser to bruiser in about 0.5 of a second, at the end of the day 500 rwhp on whatever box aint gonna hang around, i am biased as due to a 2 wheeled accident many moons ago i only drive autos but my bud jonny5 who has a T61 manual i am sure will vouch for my car not being "pedestrian", the best thing to do is try and get a ride in both, if you enjoy thrashing through the box the manual is the way to go, if you enjoy cruising but still with the ability to humble 99% of anything you come up against go single auto

hahaha and i'll out accelerate you on low boost in your manwell no probs:D, seriously i run a BL box on a T61 with a 3200 hi stall and whoever said they are a bitch to drive obviously hasn't driven one, they go from cruiser to bruiser in about 0.5 of a second, at the end of the day 500 rwhp on whatever box aint gonna hang around, i am biased as due to a 2 wheeled accident many moons ago i only drive autos but my bud jonny5 who has a T61 manual i am sure will vouch for my car not being "pedestrian", the best thing to do is try and get a ride in both, if you enjoy thrashing through the box the manual is the way to go, if you enjoy cruising but still with the ability to humble 99% of anything you come up against go single auto

Still would love to know how you got a built box and TC delivered for £1200 :)

MVP have quoted me almost double this :(

Still would love to know how you got a built box and TC delivered for £1200 :)

MVP have quoted me almost double this :(

sorry mate just had a review of the old invoice box and t/c was £1500 delivered, i had a s**t load of other stuff with it which obviously clouded my judgment (and possibly some red wine)