The mkiv Supra Owners Club

The meaning of 'BPU' (Removed from tech article)

bolarbag

I find it weird how someone can define a set formula to a term that was introduced by someone else?

Maybe helps the tech-disabled on what direction to take but everyone has their own opinions, and from what I have read in many posts, a lot of folk are seeing this as the only route to take, and thinking this is a tt specific term!

Fine for technical know hows that know better, however incorrect to influence the newbies with this codswallop

Basic performance upgrades are just that, there is no set formula

I find it weird how someone can define a set formula to a term that was introduced by someone else?

Maybe helps the tech-disabled on what direction to take but everyone has their own opinions, and from what I have read in many posts, a lot of folk are seeing this as the only route to take, and thinking this is a tt specific term!

Fine for technical know hows that know better, however incorrect to influence the newbies with this codswallop

Basic performance upgrades are just that, there is no set formula

It's a stupid thing, but BPU was a term coined by a Supra Tosser from the US, and it meant a particular package of upgrades which could be done to a MKIV Supra Turbo in order to gain ~70 - 70bhp.

Although the words are general in nature ("basic" "performance" "upgrade"), the term BPU™ does apply to Supra turbos specifically.

Fundamentals of BPU???? It is not for the Supra TT community to specify this term,

How it works????Wtf?

The result of this 'information'.....

posts like these....

BPU?! N/A?!!!!

Coooool....A BPU N/A.

How much did that cost??

yup, buts its aimed at turbo cars, as what BPU contains cant really work on an n/a, like 'raising the boost'.....

Well, basically it means "Turning the boost up", and to do that you need: decat, exhaust, fcd, fuel pump, etc.

Fundamentals of BPU???? It is not for the Supra TT community to specify this term

Ahh i see, its for the cross stich community?

IMO the folks who took the time to compile this into an easy to understand description need praise not criticism.

Its only the same as certain companies using the term 'stage one' etc.

Ahh i see, its for the cross stich community?

IMO the folks who took the time to compile this into an easy to understand description need praise not criticism.

Its only the same as certain companies using the term 'stage one' etc.

Better imo Rob as Stage One tune to an insurance company = £££££. more than saying BPU. :)

Yes you are quite right, its like 3weeks of research through various net sites bolstered into one,

However the little BPU gang who constantly post, in particular to Newbies, that they dont have certain parts so they cant join the BPU club really piss me off, because its plain to see the dont have a clue what their talking about, thus misinforming others, which from previous posts is plain to see

Yes you are quite right, its like 3weeks of research through various net sites bolstered into one,

However the little BPU gang who constantly post, in particular to Newbies, that they dont have certain parts so they cant join the BPU club really piss me off, because its plain to see the dont have a clue what their talking about, thus misinforming others, which from previous posts is plain to see

Im not sure who you are getting at, care to expand?

FWIW BPU without some parts is pretty dumb and liable to be dangerous...Anyone explaining it is trying to help not prevent access to some 'gang'

As Rob pointed out, the term "BPU" dates back to the early days of Supra modification.

BPU was coined by SupraStore in US as a set package of upgrades to safely allow boost (and therefore power) to be raised on the USDM Supra.

Over the years, this was applied to JDM models, though a different list of parts was needed to acheive the same result.

APU was used to describe single turbo conversion but it not in common use here.

Here is the site that started the terminology with their package upgrades: http://www.suprastore.com/45suppac.html

BPU to me a very non technical person just means what is needed to improve the supra's performance and what if any order this upgrades should be applied.

ie... dont go full de cat unless you get a restrictor ring. I have never taken the term aand advice as I MUST DO THIS ... rather the opinons of people much more qualifed than myself.

not that it matters as i went APU ages ago ;)

he feels his inane ramblings are not well received I believe.

BPU is a general term used elsewhere. However the phrase BPU in the mkiv community means a specific set of mods to bring the car up to a certain performance level. Just like VSV may well have a different meaning elsewhere, but people here know what that is.

It is designed to give a general indication of what the car has had done. In the same way that 'single turbo' means many different things. My t-61 is a single turbo but its a different league to the big guys who run t-71, but its still a single. So BPU can mean many things but is an indication of what has been done and the potential there-in.

JB

Exactly ;)

I've always said BPU = Raising the boost to 1.2bar and the supporting mods to get there. :)

Spot on :thumbs:

You need those mods to do it safely. It's not one person's opinion, but a gathering of knowledge from people who over the years have forumlated an opinion based on experience.

:)

Im really not seeing why you are so angry over 3 capital letters

It was not a post out of anger....

But I have learned why people throw this term about so often now,so useful in the end, feel free to delete my discrepancies towards the use of it on this forum;)