The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Calling the Single Boys and Traction

suprafan72

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Although I don't have any idea about this I have wondered this myself.

Is it a given that upping the power means having to go with bigger, wider wheels/tyres?

Eyefi has a very quick Supra that he's still running on stock 17's. Although I believe he has really fine-tuned his RLTC to compensate.

Anyway, curious and subscribed.

First thing i do when i get in mine is turn the Standard TC off and i never have any traction issues. Admitedly mine isnt running quite the same power as yours but its still a single. Just feather the throttle more instead of trying to plant your foot through the floor. ;)

The right hand pedal will serve this function beautifully, when used correctly :)

Its true that correct use of the right pedal will be enough, but I would suggest that very few people can actually use it correctly in the right conditions.

I know that I would never be without RLTC now. You think you know the car well and just when you least expect it (wet road, right hand bend off a roundabout) it bites, throws you in to the armco and the car is dead. First ever mkiv I saw killed went that way, the owner fitted RLTC on its replacement.

I would suggest you get the RLTC put back in and get it set up by somebody who knows it very well. The difference in config files can make a massive difference to those who are not racing car drivers ;)

JB

R888s will help, I like my TRD diff and good geometry most certainly helps. My car has never really caught me out, and I wouldn't put rltc or anything else on. It has excellent mechanical grip and the back comes out very progressively in the dry, can be held on the throttle without too much drama.

Just take your time getting used to it, find your limits and drive within them. Oh, and drive the missus car in the wet :D

Guest Nicholas

single's in the wet can be great fun, I had a brilliant time on the way to the pod on sunday :) just make sure you have a good suspension setup with good tyres. :cool:

get your car suspension setup correctly with all the alignments sorted by someone who knows what they are doing e.g C.WILSON .

I dont have issues with traction , nor do i use RLTC but i do use R888. look at the setup before resorting to electronic gismo's. Else take a driving course :-):D

I dont use any form of TC, I found rear traction degraded when going from 255 to 275 rears, I now run stock 17" sizes on R888s.

1st, 2nd and 3rd are only a prob when the tires are cold, once they have warmed up the grip is great, my suspension was setup by CW using JIC FLT A2s.

I can't drive my single without RLTC. I've tried to, but frankly it's facking dangerous without it.

I've been meaning to have a word with Phil about my RLTC actually because it seems to only just cope at the moment. I'm sure it should be better than it is.

Had an interesting chat with suprafan72 on PM... He's still on the same Japenese tyre's it came over with so have suggested these are changed for some new all weather ones as a start.

His suspension has been sorted by CW, so that should be in order.

Lets see how it progresses after the tyre change :)

FWIW: I'm finding it okay without traction control on my car so far. It does spin up very easily in 1st and 2nd in the dry, but you just need to use the right foot carefully. In the wet it's much more of a handful, but I just limit WOT usage in the lower gears when it's damp or wet.

I did get a 110mph drift on the M1 back from Pod yesterday, but will take it as a learning experience to not use 100% throttle when it's damp.

RLTC will no doubt allow me to use near 100% throttle everywhere, but I'd rather rely on my own inputs than a box of tricks to do everything for me... at least until I know exactly how the car handles on the single.