The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Skyline R33GTR .vs. N/A Supra Manual

Guest Creasy

Guest Creasy

First of all i dont agree with street racing :innocent:.....but ..... sometimes you have to give it a little blast now and again.:eyebrows:

I was taking my friend out in my new Supra, which is a 3.0litre N/A Manual with BPU. I had taken him for a bit of a drive when i said that i wanted to find some dual carriage way with traffic lights. A little bit more driving and hey presto, open road green lights ahead. I slowed down as i wanted to pull away from the lights standing still to see how the torque felt from standing start.

So, up ahead about 300 yards was a Skyline, Midnight purple, very wide rear wheels and a little badge that said GTR. He stopped up at the lights so i thought it would be rude not to coast up to the lane next to him at the front of the lights.

We both knew we were going to have a little fun. RED....AMBER, i floor it, a little wheelspin but im off first, then in my inexperience of driving Supra's i hit the rev limit and have to change to 2nd. I have a look in my rear view mirror and see the Skyline about 2 car lengths behind. So there i was thinking that ...wow...i have done him but no way had i ..... in about 2 seconds he must have floored it and totally flew past like i was not there. So i reckon, he didnt even bother at the lights and then thought oh why, not lets have some fun.

All i can say is, i know the N/A Supras are fairly fast, i have driven faster cars but this Skyline left me for dust. As he went by he lifted off and the dump valve/wastegate made a lovely chatter noise.

So i was wondering how would a standard Supra TT do against a R33GTR?

In standard form theirs about 100bhp between a NA sup and a GTR i believe, so not surprised he breezed past (220 v's 300 and something?).

Fight between a TT and GTR would be about even in standard form i think, as they are both big lumps kicking out about the same power.

Ahhh i see, so really its: a specified list of basic performance upgrades for a TT Supra only :)

Not knowing this before i would have thought he meant, full decat, panel fitler, cat back system erm think thats about it on an N/A isnt it (apart from Nic's ace manifold).

Guest Creasy

Well, it looks like im gonna have to get use to these Supra terms. I thought BPU stood for Basic Performance Upgrades for any Supra on this Forum - never mind, now i know. Its 'only' got CAT back exhaust and HKS induction kit, so nothing too special really.

I suppose i was a bit of a carzy fool in need of advice giving this guy some at the lights but to be honest i just wanted to see how the Supra performed. I knew he would be quicker, just didnt know he would have been that Much quicker!

I suppose the rivalry between GTR's, Supra TT and RX7 TT is quite hot. I have owned 3 RX7 Gen 3 TT and all 3 were far quicker than my N/A Supra, so i would love to see how a Supra TT performed!:diablo:

Technically the term BPU has been used correctly*. Just because TT supra owners have a set definition of what upgrades this refers to when applied to their cars, doesn't mean it implies identical upgrades have been made when referring to a BPU Scooby, Civic, or in this case NA supra. It's not a TT Supra specific term.

* although the P is debatable when referring to an NA supe

:looney:

Technically the term BPU has been used correctly*. Just because TT supra owners have a set definition of what upgrades this refers to when applied to their cars, doesn't mean it implies identical upgrades have been made when referring to a BPU Scooby, Civic, or in this case NA supra. It's not a TT Supra specific term.

* although the P is debatable when referring to an NA supe

:looney:

Somebody should copyright the term, really, to avoid confusion.

Well, it looks like im gonna have to get use to these Supra terms. I thought BPU stood for Basic Performance Upgrades for any Supra on this Forum - never mind, now i know.

there you go mate have a read of this...

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=94705&highlight=basic+performance+upgrade

with regard to a supra TT vs GTR...this has been discussed to death so many times. The general answer is GTR will initally be quicker off the mark (if driver sacrafices his clutch) due to 4 wheel traction and supra loosing grip which often gives them a slight lead. However if the road is long enough the supra should/will eventually overtake due to aerodynamics, gearing and the 4x4 zaping more power than 2 wheel drive.

You've only got to look at a jap day vid of santa pod to see that the skyline nearly always takes the lead (annoyingly where the camera man has a nice close up of both cars:rolleyes:) however the supra often crosses the line 1st with a higher terminal speed.

They are a very similar cars in respect of performance but also so different.

Its argued that the toyota engine is more reliable and easier to mod but i'm sure if you went on the GTR owners club you'd get a different opinion.

hope that helps