The mkiv Supra Owners Club

supra back at goodwood fos

lucasl

Went to goodwood on the friday and saturday and was amazed to see the castrol jgtc supra, awsome car took some pictures of it and was talking to the guy who 'made it', I showed him a picture of my top top secret supra and asked if he could help me with it, he laughed and said no, oh well lol.

He was saying that the engine is a 3s not a 503e which I had thought it was up until now and that this supra is based on the actual car and the later ones were complete custom made, which is interesting due to people saying how the race supras have no resemblance to road going supras.

As you can see in the pics, the interior of the car it has the same structure as production supras the roof of the castrol supra is standard steel, the front and rear inner arches have been modified for the over 300 width tyres it has standard strut type suspension in relocated points, you can just see the red alloy top mounts into the rollcage. the centre tunnel has been modified for the sequential gearbox, strengthening steel has been welded in some areas too. Underneath the control arms and locations have been modified, would of liked to get some good pictures underneath but it was too low.

http://img513.imageshack.us/img513/8370/imgp0041do8.jpg

http://img509.imageshack.us/img509/4218/imgp0045pt4.jpg

http://img71.imageshack.us/img71/884/imgp0047gn4.jpg

http://img503.imageshack.us/img503/5093/imgp0053rm1.jpg

http://img503.imageshack.us/img503/7830/imgp0055ql0.jpg

http://img505.imageshack.us/img505/7162/imgp0058pj7.jpg

http://img505.imageshack.us/img505/3637/imgp0076fz1.jpg

the harness mounting looks horrendous, every thing i have read says that is a massive no-no mounting to the floor like that, apparently in a head on your spine will be crushed as the harnesses pull down:(

I have mine mounted the same, in the rear seatbelt bolt hole locations. For the harness to pull down it would have to crush the bucket seat and i think it would take a lot to do that :blink:

So, is the 3s engine the same one as used in the MR2 Turbo.

If so I assume that they used that engine due to it's lightness compared to the normal Supra engine.

I wonder if there is any advantage to doing the same on a roadgoing Supra using a highly tuned (say 450bhp) MR2 turbo engine.

I have mine mounted the same, in the rear seatbelt bolt hole locations. For the harness to pull down it would have to crush the bucket seat and i think it would take a lot to do that :blink:

i would seriously review how you have these mounted mate, do a search there are plenty of track day guys on here with more know than me, i pulled this off google The shoulder belts should extend rearward off the shoulders, and be level to a solid mount or at least a 'cage bar. They can also be at a slightly downward angle.

Shoulder belts should not be used to hold the driver down in the seat--this is the job of the lap belt. The shoulder belt keeps the driver's torso from moving forward. If the belts are mounted to pull down on the driver's shoulders, they can also allow him to pivot forward. Pulling down on the shoulders during a crash could lead to compression injuries.

The seat will easily be crushed in an impact if they are installed like that. The following figures are from an article in Track & Race cars from a test by Schroth (who make harnesses). They did a standard FIA crash test, which is a 31mph impact with a stopping distance of 16inches. This produces a decelleration of 30G.

The load on the lap belts was 3,100lbs each side. The load on the shoulder straps was 1,550lbs each. That caused the adjusters to move up the chest by 8inches due to the belts stretching. 1550 lbs would easily crush the shoulder strap holes in a seat - they are not designed to stand up to any force, they're only for locating the belts. Also bear in mind that test was using a full 6 point harness, and the anti-sub straps took 1320lbs of force each. If you only have 4 point harnesses (which I would never use) that force will be transferred to the shoulder straps too.

And that was only a 30mph impact (albeit with a short stopping distance).

So, is the 3s engine the same one as used in the MR2 Turbo.

If so I assume that they used that engine due to it's lightness compared to the normal Supra engine.

I wonder if there is any advantage to doing the same on a roadgoing Supra using a highly tuned (say 450bhp) MR2 turbo engine.

Same engine as the MR2 Turbo / Gt4 but with lots of changes :)

Engine is lighter but also smaller so they moved it back in the bay to make the weight distribution better.

2.2L 3S-GTE with a GT35R would be nice but it's not really in the Supra spirit.

The seat will easily be crushed in an impact if they are installed like that. The following figures are from an article in Track & Race cars from a test by Schroth (who make harnesses). They did a standard FIA crash test, which is a 31mph impact with a stopping distance of 16inches. This produces a decelleration of 30G.

The load on the lap belts was 3,100lbs each side. The load on the shoulder straps was 1,550lbs each. That caused the adjusters to move up the chest by 8inches due to the belts stretching. 1550 lbs would easily crush the shoulder strap holes in a seat - they are not designed to stand up to any force, they're only for locating the belts. Also bear in mind that test was using a full 6 point harness, and the anti-sub straps took 1320lbs of force each. If you only have 4 point harnesses (which I would never use) that force will be transferred to the shoulder straps too.

And that was only a 30mph impact (albeit with a short stopping distance).

Are you saying that the TRD supra works team have mounted there harness wrong.

Are you saying that the TRD supra works team have mounted there harness wrong.

most definatley yes, i have just dug out my Takata booklet and there are mounting pics, one with the belts mounted to the floor with a great big red cross through it, dont ask me why they have done it like this there may be other things we dont know about, i suggest you do some digging on google mate it took me about 2 minutes to find the relevent info

most definatley yes, i have just dug out my Takata booklet and there are mounting pics, one with the belts mounted to the floor with a great big red cross through it, dont ask me why they have done it like this there may be other things we dont know about, i suggest you do some digging on google mate it took me about 2 minutes to find the relevent info

"use the lower anchorage of the rear seat-belts (generally located under the rear cushions)" Taken from Sabelt FIA ECE homologation users' handbook.

I would rather take advice from Sabelt than Takata, especially seeing as at least a third of the cars at goodwood had Sabelt harnesses equipped, and none had Takata.

http://img184.imageshack.us/img184/1458/picture003ef6.jpg

http://img262.imageshack.us/img262/6478/picture005dj2.jpg

i think you've answered your own question there mate look at the sabelt diagram it shows the belt clearly going back to what presumably are a saloon cars rear mounting points, not going straight down to the floor, unfortunately the supe aint a saloon, have a look at the diagram (apologies for my colouring in) from takata this gives factual information on critical angles between 20-35 degrees (marked in red) not an open ended statement as Sabelt have used, think about how our little man will react in a head on if the harnesses are mounted as in blue, there is NOTHING holding him back all the harness is doing is holding him down, the only thing holding him upright is the flimsy seat which will soon break, now think about how he will react if the harness is attached as per yellow the harness will then take all the impact not the seat, i may be wrong on whether the harnesses in the JGTC may be within the 35 degree limit but it would be close

man_side.jpg

Looking at the photos again I'd have to agree that those are indeed mounted in the correct place according to the Sabelt diagram. IE. the rear seatbelt mounting points (where a child seat would be anchored for example).

Hoewever, due to the unfortunate shape of the Supra seating plan (with no room for rear passengers) they are also in the wrong place because the resulting angle looks too steep for safety.

If it were my car (as if!) I'd fit a harness bar.