The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Manual mode = increased risk?

SUPRASUZUKI

Not really apart from knocking it into N while flooring it.

Done that and my heart skipped a beat.

Manual mode is better than just leaving it in D some agree some don't but I like it and thats all that matters, I only use D for motorway driving or on a long distance run.

For track use yes you will have a way better day using it than allowing the box to do its own thing. You can hold second gear longer and force engine braking. It won't change down if its not in the gears rev range so from third to second piling into a corner you can actually pre-select the gear and the ECU will change the gear for you at the optimum point. You can also prevent it from dropping into first which is a big spinner/tail wagging gear on this car. I've tracked my auto on several tracks now and manu mode is the only way to go :D

For track use yes you will have a way better day using it than allowing the box to do its own thing. You can hold second gear longer and force engine braking. It won't change down if its not in the gears rev range so from third to second piling into a corner you can actually pre-select the gear and the ECU will change the gear for you at the optimum point. You can also prevent it from dropping into first which is a big spinner/tail wagging gear on this car. I've tracked my auto on several tracks now and manu mode is the only way to go :D

Thanks mate. I look forward to learning to drive in manual mode.

Just remember the days when you had to change gear for yourself :D Only with only 3 gears (you almost shouldn't need O/D) and no clutch.

Last time I drove a manual was 2 weeks ago when I drove an Esprit to Paris for a stag night. Shouldn't be too difficult to get back into the swing.:)

Really mine never did just bounced off the rev limiter. I don't think cadwell has as good a straight as silverstone either.

Was that with the O/D off activated or just in MANU. I did some practical research for the autobox write up and did several runs in MANU in D upto the redline and it changed up. This was of course all done on a private test track .;)

Was that with the O/D off activated or just in MANU. I did some practical research for the autobox write up and did several runs in MANU in D upto the redline and it changed up. This was of course all done on a private test track .;)

So, manual mode with the o/d engaged it is then. I'll practice on the way up there.

So, manual mode with the o/d engaged it is then. I'll practice on the way up there.

Don't forget to change gear. On my commute to work I'll often belt off and forget I'm in second.

The noise on over-run is truly awful.:eyebrows::innocent:;)

In manu if you leave it with O/D selected on it will go from second to effectively fourth when you push forwards to D

No it doesn't.

In MANU you only have the first 3 gears. D Holds 3rd gear.If you reach the redline in 3rd (D) it will shift into O/D to save the engine and gearbox.

If yours was shifting from 2 to D and going straight into O/D then there was something amiss.

No it doesn't.

In MANU you only have the first 3 gears. D Holds 3rd gear.If you reach the redline in 3rd (D) it will shift into O/D to save the engine and gearbox.

If yours was shifting from 2 to D and going straight into O/D then there was something amiss.

So you can accidently select 1st? Or does the box prevent this until the speed drops sufficiently (a la 3rd to 2nd)?