The mkiv Supra Owners Club

ABS/Brakes

Lewis

Had some new rear disks fitted and pads all round. I have new fluid and braided hoses on full factory fitted UK brakes.

My braking seems really tarnished. I had branded toyota pads before and these ones were supplied by turbofit from steve manley I presume?!

I don't seem to be able to get the ABS to kick in. It was raining today so I took it out and slammed on @ 30, then 40, then 60.......nadda.

Is there a visual indication of the ABS? I know I should feel it but I just wondered?!

In addition, they just don't seem that good and now I seem to be getting a good amount of vibration while braking (especially when braking heavily) this ISN'T the ABS though, I'm thinking warped disk(s).

Any help/advice/ideas?

Possibly Rob, they were fitted a couple of weeks ago and I haven't driven it much lately because of the weather and I have the truck. That doesn't account for the vibration though does it?! as well as the fact that I don't seem to be able to get the ABS to kick in?

I know very little about the ABS system (ie sweet FA).

If you've had new dics and pads changed all round they do require a proper bedding in period, say around 100miles with a mixed bag of braking, but NO heavy braking from high speeds. If you have, you may have warped a disc slightly (it has been known) or if you're not getting enough bite you could have glazed the pads slightly.

Trying to get the ABS to kick in on new dics and pads is a bit foolhardy imo bebacuse you need to break very heavily to get it to kick in. It won't also work under 15mph (IIRC). Don't forget that ABS LESSENS braking force to allow you to steer around a hazard whilst braking heavily. It INCREASES braking distance not decrease it.

If you've had new dics and pads changed all round they do require a proper bedding in period, say around 100miles with a mixed bag of braking, but NO heavy braking from high speeds. If you have, you may have warped a disc slightly (it has been known) or if you're not getting enough bite you could have glazed the pads slightly.

Trying to get the ABS to kick in on new dics and pads is a bit foolhardy imo bebacuse you need to break very heavily to get it to kick in. It won't also work under 15mph (IIRC). Don't forget that ABS LESSENS braking force to allow you to steer around a hazard whilst braking heavily. It INCREASES braking distance not decrease it.

Are you around this w/e doug? Any chance of you popping over to have a look? I'm in hungerford this weekend. I'm out tomorrow afternoon (shrek 3 - don't ask) but any other time is fine if you are about?!

I'll check with the better half Sunday would be the only option which might be tricky.

I'll pm you tomorrow.

If not anytime during the day weektime is good.

Ok mate, drop me a pm, Emin is here Sunday AM as well so anytime Sunday is good with me, if not we'll see what we can sort out.

Cheers mate