The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Conundrum

Jellybean

Hey heres the problem

I am investing in a TT Supra 6 Speed:) , but I have reservations about getting a 1997 VVTI RZ Facelift Model (Stage one Tuned Exhaust,FMIC,INDUCTION etc) 30K - 40K miles or a 1993 Single T88 Greddy conversion 600+ bhp with 50K miles. Both cars are in around the same price range give or take 2-3K.

But I am really concerned about relialabilty, since you guys all generally own or owned Supras. Is it feasable to think you can have a reliable 15 year old supercar destroying monster for 16K.

What are your experiences or personal advice, it is alot of money at the end of the day

Cars:

WhifBlitz 1993 Single T88 Greddy conversion 600+ bhp 16K

NewEra Imports 1997 VVTI RZ Facelift Model 14K

Jurgen Imports 1996 NOS Supra 12K

i would get the t88 from whifbitz....whiffin's well know on here, and i will doubt hell import a bad car.....got loads more power than the others, and if your bothered about the pre-facelift headlights - change them!

well thats what i would do anyway.....

Thanks guys this is all great feed back, but to throw another spanner into the works. In Ireland 95 octane Fuel is the highest what implications will this cause on the Supra as Fuel in Japan is much higher octane and u might say ocatne boosters but got some for my Levin and they r expensive for 1 tank of petrol a NOS octane booster is 23 pound stering ,

Can you get away with using 95 RON I would get super unleaded if it was available

Okay, I'm going to go against the trend...

What engine management is the VVTi running.... The only reason I ask, there seems to some issues with regards tuning and engine management system on them. Whereas there is a lot more experience both here and in the states of the non-vvti system.

I personally would say go for the Jurgen/Whif supplied vehicle..

95 RON would be a problem with the tuned car I should think. Investigate more mate. We tend to run Supe on V Power and Ultimate here.

Tuners feel free to pop in here.:)

Only 95RON available here research for a while now, so it looks like we are stuck with it. we have VPower here but still only 95 RON, emailed Shell Ireland Directly. Tried my current Levin with the NOS octane booster/VPOWER and it ran really smooth but 23 pound on top of every tank of gas is way too much money. Hopefully some Supra Tuners can suggest a resolution

The single will handle 95 ron at stock boost power alot better than the twins will. Also the single will already have an after-market fuel controller of some sort that will allow tuning for 95 ron. Also I would consider fitting a decent quality water/meths injection system and maybe an intercooler spray system rather than constantly forking out for fuel additives.