The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Tyre Advice

Gruggs

Hi Guys,

Needing some advice on choosing some rubber for the car.

The car will be mainly used at weekends/nice days..so will not be getting massive use or in torrential rain...and yes that means very infrequent use as i am from Scotland!!! :D:d

Was looking along the lines of the Toyo Proxes T1-R or maybe michelins or good year.

Another one was the R888 - i know this is a track day tyre but if infrequent use is it worth considering? what's the wear rate like on these? how many miles from them?

Cheers

G

R888 will be fine if you plan on driving in the dry, and as they are basically road legal slicks there will be plenty of traction :)

Info stolen from Toyo website http://www.toyo.com.au/Pit%20Lane.htm

Street use

All three Toyo motor sport radial patterns are legal for use on public roads but recommended for competition or use on closed circuits. Grooved, street legal race tyres are designed for users who need to drive their vehicle to and from the circuit, and / or where the class regulations specify that street legal tyres must be used.

When compared to high performance or ultra-high performance tyres, when used on public roads, Toyo motor sport radials will:

1. have comparatively poor ride comfort. Toyo motor sport radials have a steel sidewall ply to minimise sidewall deflection for optimum cornering grip.

2. be susceptible to "tram-lining" / "tracking". The casing stiffness provided by the steel sidewall ply and wide belt packages used on Toyo motor sport radials make them susceptible to tram-lining caused by road irregularities common on public roads.

3. have faster tread wear. The tread compounds used on Toyo motor sport radials provide much higher grip levels compared to high performance or ultra-high performance tyres rather than long tread life.

4. be slippery when cold. Due to the tread compounds & construction types, grip levels will be low until the tyres have had some warming-up. This will be especially noticeable in cold and / or rainy conditions.

5. be susceptible to aquaplaning when used with low tread depths (3 -1.5mm) on wet roads, especially in heavy rain conditions. Users need to exercise caution in these conditions with careful monitoring of vehicle speed to avoid aquaplaning. The Proxes RA1 pattern is the exception. The Proxes RA1 has a void ratio that makes it resistant to aquaplaning, where tread depths are >4.5mm. For more information on wet road grip and aquaplaning, click http://www.toyo.com.au/tech_info3.html

Wez - how long do you get from the R888's?

I currently have eagle F1's so was thinking of replacing with them with something similar.

just not sure what to get really.

How do the T1-R's perform. One of my mates said there are sidewall issues with them. or is that the olders 1-s's?

Cheers

G

I currently have eagle F1's so was thinking of replacing with them with something similar.

just not sure what to get really.

G

Eagle F1 Asymetric

This tyre has just recently superceded the Eagle F1 GS-D3.

How about Bridgestone RE050A - Asymmetrical - as fitted to Enzos etc. Fantastic grip in the dry but still with good grip in the wet so you won't die. Reasonable tyre life (so I understand) and a worthy successor to the legendary S01 Pole positions etc - oh and affordable so good vfm too

Reckoned to be much better than the gsd3s according to reviews and feedback I've come across

How about Bridgestone RE050A - Asymmetrical - as fitted to Enzos etc. Fantastic grip in the dry but still with good grip in the wet so you won't die. Reasonable tyre life (so I understand) and a worthy successor to the legendary S01 Pole positions etc - oh and affordable so good vfm too

Reckoned to be much better than the gsd3s according to reviews and feedback I've come across

:yeahthat:

Great tyre:)

How do the T1-R's perform. One of my mates said there are sidewall issues with them. or is that the olders 1-s's?

G

i was reading the same on an evo forum, i am looking for new rear tyres myself, the guys on the evo forum were saying the T1-R is not a patch on the old T1-S with a lot of sidewall/tyre roll and excessive wear issues, this is a shame cos i really rated the old T1-S, personally i am leaning towards pirelli rosso assimetrico

I remember seeing this thread actually and I went and ordered some more GS-D3's. I managed after pleading with 'mytyres' to let me have the last of their stock.

They told me that both 245/40/18 and 285/35/18 had run out and were not available.

I managed to get somebody to actually check their stock room to see if they had any and they literally had a couple of sets left. I managed to reserve them.

But the general impression I got was that the GS-D3 has been totally superceeded by the new asymetric.

Could be a different story with other tyre suppliers. And if Goodyear themselves still say its available I'm not going to argue ;)

I have Toyo T1-Rs all round. Personally I love them, massive grip dry or wet and after 4000 miles they look like new!

OK, bear in mind I am not a jet pilot driver like some on here so I don't exactly rag the arse off the car.

Hi Guys,

Was looking along the lines of the Toyo Proxes T1-R or maybe michelins or good year.

Another one was the R888 - i know this is a track day tyre but if infrequent use is it worth considering? what's the wear rate like on these? how many miles from them?

Cheers

G

I've been using Toyo T1Rs and now T1Ss for over 7 years now, I've tried various other ones but keep coming back to the all year/weather condition use of the Toyo T1Ss.

The T1Rs were very soft and I only got about 6k out of the rears, the T1Ss are much better and with the same grip IMHO, I'm still getting about 9k out of the rears.

They are cheaper than the Eagle F1s but you have to change them more often.

Defo worth a look, also look at http://www.etyres.co.uk/tyre-tests for more reviews.

I'm sure other supra drivers have there own recommendations, but I've stuck with Toyos for over 6 years on a Supra now. That must say something. (good I hope) ;)