The mkiv Supra Owners Club

3 inch exhaust versus 4 inch

lucasl

I don't think this has been discussed before, but what is the benefit having a 4 inch through exhaust to a 3 inch. I read somewhere that a 3 inch exhaust doesn’t make much difference till you get to about 500hp. Only asking because my 4 inch one hangs really low under my car because it’s so big ,that sounds rude as

None really, 3inch is more than enough for a TT, in fact CW said 2.5inch is the most suitable size. 4inch exhausts are really only for BIG power cars, 800bhp+ range.

The 3inch is lighter, cheaper and has better gorund clearance.

4 inch is a bitch !!!!! clearance / noise / noise /noise /noise ...need i go further ??? noise /noise

:yeahthat:

PHR only had a 4" down pipe and mid pipe in stock when I was ordering mine, so went 4". Looking back I wish I'd have waited and fitted a 3" instead, as ground clearance can be an issue on road humps. No benefit on mine anyway as my exhaust is 3"

It does look impressive though and I can smile to myself and think, mine's bigger than yours, which is very self satisfying :)

remembering my HNC on gas flow i think we allways tend to get our exhausts the wrong way round the big section should be at the front where the gas is hot, as the gas cools and contracts the section can be reduced, i would suggest a 4" down/front pipe leading into a 3" mid/rear pipe would be the most effecient system and would keep noise/ground clearance good as well, this also applys to intercooler piping the big pipe should be the hot side

I went for 3" dp/midpipe & 4" exhaust, it's still loud, I have to put the bung in when doing early starts. 4" section still catches though over rough bumps etc but I can live with that for the sound of the HKS Ti :D

That's the only reason why i kept this exhaust. ;)