The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Completly gutted, engine just let go

tooquicktostop

:eow:

Just had Supra call we all dred, car was being mapped for the final time and on one of the last power runs #2 piston has let go, causing pressure in the block and blowing the engine :(

I have spent over 12K in the last 7 months getting this car to this stage and ready for the summer, cant quite believe what has happened today, not sure what to do next, I am in complete shock !!, I am tempted to just sell it as it is and cut my losses, what a s**t day, all before the Jap Show as well, that will teach me for talking about running in the 12's, now wheres that Scotch

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry to hear this :( The joys of modified cars eh!

Built engine I presume with the money spent? Any idea what the cause of #2 going was at this stage?

The money I have spent was putting the wrongs right from GTCars :(

Also had Fuel system, AEM, 650 injectors, 6 speed conversion, 4 row Intercooler, fluidyne and polished fans, HKS Cam Pulley's, lots on cosmetics

The Engine was standard apart from Cams :(

Sorry to hear that mate, what a nightmare :( As its been such a sh*te day for you, very small consolation but forget about the refund of that black Supra badge.

Nah mate thats not right, if the post have lost that I will paypal you back, not a problem, just give it until tomorrow and them PM me and I will send it over ;)

Not good :(

Do they know why it went pop? What boost was it being run at? What is the engine and turbo spec?

Nic, Dan is just taking a look now, it looks as though #2 piston has det on the edges and the rings have let go, this is early report, Dan was very confident in this engine as it has just had the head done and was running superb :(

Nic, Dan is just taking a look now, it looks as though #2 piston has det on the edges and the rings have let go, this is early report, Dan was very confident in this engine as it has just had the head done and was running superb :(

So the engine has just been apart and it was okay and was being mapped straight afterwards?

f*ck mate i feel for you, what a pain really gutted, mines getting mapped tomorow, think i will turn my phone off:( think your running about the same spec as me, but mines been hitting 1.8 bar until tomorow,

:hide: :bang:

Why so high Gaz? For a reliable everyday car, I'd not want to be pushing over 1.4bar personally.

So the engine has just been apart and it was okay and was being mapped straight afterwards?

Has been mapped many times with different issues (boost leaks, new fuel pumps needed etc) the valve seals and tappets were done and the pistons looked perfect, so all was well and Dan said it sounded perfect during the mapping until :bang:

Has been mapped many times with different issues (boost leaks, new fuel pumps needed etc) the valve seals and tappets were done and the pistons looked perfect, so all was well and Dan said it sounded perfect during the mapping until :bang:

With all the monitoring going on whilst being mapped, it should not have gone pop as a result of detonation. If that was the cause, I'd not be best pleased with the mapper for pushing it too far.