The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Fuel Consumption Of Supra And Gto3000

Guest dive-inme

Guest dive-inme

I am in a dilema here and need help. Now I love both of these cars:

Toyota Supra Aerotop

Mitsubishi GTO 3000

Both cars are 3.0 Litre. Since I have never own either of em, I have no idea how good or bad they are on fuel. Bare in mind that i will be using my car on daily basis. So it will be really helpul if any of u could tell me the weekly/monthly fuel expense of the non turbo supra and GTO ?

Also in general how much is the estimated insurance cost ?

Thanks.

Fuel consumption is the least of your issues :D

First off, can you afford to run one of these (talking parts are servicing here). Unless you do huge mileage, these can far outweigh fuel costs.

Both the NA and TT supra's return 20+ mpg if driven sensibly, though obviously the TT will drop if driven hard. The GTO is much the same as far as I know.

Guy here with a sorted single is getting 30 + driven off boost. Seems to vary wildly across the club.

However have seen reports that GTO has much higher running costs and is basically a poorer quality car. So as Homer says fuel cost will be the least of your problems.

One thing that should swing your decision however is the fact that this is the best car forum out there, with the most helpful and generous people. So if it does go wrong. Chances are good it'll be sorted at a fraction of the cost.:)

Guy here with a sorted single is getting 30 + driven off boost. Seems to vary wildly across the club.

However have seen reports that GTO has much higher running costs and is basically a poorer quality car. So as Homer says fuel cost will be the least of your problems.

One thing that should swing your decision however is the fact that this is the best car forum out there, with the most helpful and generous people. So if it does go wrong. Chances are good it'll be sorted at a fraction of the cost.:)

30 to the gallon off boost... oh my!!! thats incredible.

I have owned both, the GTO in the past few months and whilst I really liked it (preferred the drive) I would strongly advise you go for a Supra.

As above, investigate the costs of maintaining the GTO and the common issues, will scare the living daylights out of you.

Why not ask about mpg? Plently of people whine about parts costs and servicing, but if you do a lot of miles then these are peanuts compared to fuel costs, and mpg can make a big difference to the total £££ leaving your wallet each month. I do 18000 miles a year so the majority of my running costs go to petrol.

I did a complete costs "analysis" before I bought my car just to check whether it was a sensible move or not. Much better to ask first rather than get caught out later on.

Anyway, I get about 23 our of my NA Aerotop. The most I ever saw was 28 and that was following my Dad's diesel Mondeo back after picking the car up from JIC. I have had it down to 18 with the aircon on all the time.

TTs can go down to 17 and also get up into the low 20's depending on how you drive them. A big lazy single can go even higher as you spend more time off boost. When we went to LeMans a couple of years back, IanC's big single got the best mpg out of all the cars.

Hi

I have owned both as well,i used to have a GTO tt which was bpu and i now own a Supra tt which will be fully bpu next week!!

My GTO was better on fuel,it was very reliable and i had it for nearly 3 years...

That said i have owned my Supe for a month and love it:d:d:d The Supra is quicker and loads easier to modify;)

Jamie

P.S. Service costs are about the same and both owners forums are excellent:)

Hi and :welcome:

the ex had a GTO NA and it was more frugal than my supra NA but the supra knocks the spots of the GTO for looks ;) You've also got the fun of rear wheel drive :eyebrows: whereas the GTO is AWD :zzz:

tbh, as CW says, any 3L is a thirsty beast and more so if your heavy on the fast pedal. Try looking at the GTOOC:

http://www.gtouk.org.uk/

I'm sure they will be at japshow this weekend so you could always have a chat with them...then come back to our club stand to see some real /I] jap performance cars :p

Good luck anyway,

L

welcome to the board ... fuel consumption .... if you are think about this , then dont bother buying a supra nor GTO....performance cars will always be more expensive to run then your normal honda or toyota . i get around 25-28mpg with mine on a normal motorway run , i then get about 10mpg on a WOT run when the turbo kicks in . Round town i get about 50mpg in my renualt TDI... hope that answers your questions .

Welcome to the club mate. I've always liked the GTO/3000GT but rumours of the running costs/maintenance put me off. Plus the Supra's simply cooler :cool:

Why not ask about mpg?

I agree. It's a natural question to ask. Before I bought mine, I searched for the fuel consumption so I calculate approx. how much running costs would be. It's irrelevant whether I thought I could afford it or not; I simply wanted to know how much would be leaving my account because of the car, so I wouldn't be surprised once I'd invested.

From a full tank, I've had mpg's ranging from 16 to 22 in my TT, but I've only had it 6 months so there's not been much pootling round in it yet :D

Honestly, having worked on a load and the amount of times different ones came in to the workshop with endless lists of problems I would really stay clear of the GTO, it will drive you insane and you'll lose a ton of money on it, don't do it!!!