The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Oil leak... Or something... :(

Delfin

Cheers guys and girls, I'm in desperate need of advice here...

Tomorrow I have a time booked at the local Toyota garage to change my headlights to eu-spec ones. Since I haven't driven my car in over a week, I took her out for a little ten minute drive to make sure she was all right. That wasn't the case apparently.

After only a few kms, at a crossing, the car died. Nevermind I thought, she's probably just cold. I continiued to the highway to drive a 10 km strip. Halfway the speedo died... Darn, I thought, and turned back. When I reached the highway exit the red exclamation mark lights up. Also I noticed my oil pressure/temp gauges going up and down. Didn't take much notice on that since my boost gauge has faulty wireing and lives its own life, so thought that the other gauges might do the same thing.

I drove back home, and noticed a lot of smoke coming from underneath. I took a look under the car and saw what looks like oil dripping down. I ran to get my camera and took some pictures:

http://www.carldelfin.com/help/1.JPG

http://www.carldelfin.com/help/2.JPG

http://www.carldelfin.com/help/3.JPG

http://www.carldelfin.com/help/4.JPG

http://www.carldelfin.com/help/5.JPG

Can you tell anything? Any help at all would be great... I'm really lost here. Would you think it's safe to drive the car to Toyota tomorrow morning? And perhaps let them take a look at it?

I can't do anything else now, I've got work in 45 mins, and don't quit until tomorrow morning when I'm off to leave the car...

Thanks!

More to the point, why are you taking the car to Toyota just to change the headlights. Its more difficult to tie a shoelace than it is to change the headlights, toyota will charge a fortune for doing it.

Good luck getting the leak sorted though, hope its nothing serious.

More to the point, why are you taking the car to Toyota just to change the headlights. Its more difficult to tie a shoelace than it is to change the headlights, toyota will charge a fortune for doing it.

Good luck getting the leak sorted though, hope its nothing serious.

To be honest, I tried, and failed :run: I don't want to mess anything up (that's why I ripped out the stereo and dash board and now have a bunch of gizmos all over...).

Anyways, would you think it's safe to drive it there or should I have it toed?

Naybad, sorry, but my english vocabulary doesn't do that well with motor specific terms... What's a crank gasket? :D

There is a thread on changing lights, I know I used it and it is easy and I should be banned from touching spanners !! :D

I would not drive it just to be on the safe side, you dont want that oil to catch fire on the exhaust !

Does look like a big leak, how long did it take to create that pool of oil ??

looks like you have blown the front crankshaft oil seal on the oil pump:(

Which means...? Am I looking at £10 or £1000 in repair costs here? Any educated guess will do.

AndyT, actually I've talked to my friends who drive mcs, they've checked the area, I did too, I wanted to see where the leaking started... Not much traces thou, good or bad...

Oh well, I'll have the car taken to Toyota tomorrow and see what happens. Bummer, Paul just sent me the registration papers :(, and now this.

Take for the help guys, feels good to have you behind me.

I went to Toyota this morning, and as usual they were like "Supra, what's that?".

I got some answers on a Swedish Supra forum too, so I'll take all your suggestions and have the car taken to a friends garage and let him take a look at it. Somehow I don't trust the 60 year old guy over at Toyota...

Thanks everyone, hopefully this will be sorted out and I don't have to work 250 hours next month too and live off water and nudles.

Cheers!

If 'having the car taken' to a garage means trailered good, but with that amount of oil dropping onto a hot exhaust....:shock::eek: definitely NOT a good idea to drive it. Unless you have a secret yearning to be a mobile fireball!! ;)

Leak almost certainly coming from the gear box area by the looks of it. Shouldnt break the bank though :)

Anyway, whats wrong with noodles and water??? :tongue::D

Linda

x

If 'having the car taken' to a garage means trailered good, but with that amount of oil dropping onto a hot exhaust....:shock::eek: definitely NOT a good idea to drive it. Unless you have a secret yearning to be a mobile fireball!! ;)

Leak almost certainly coming from the gear box area by the looks of it. Shouldnt break the bank though :)

Anyway, whats wrong with noodles and water??? :tongue::D

Linda

x

Say what, I thought it was in everyones best interest to be blazing down the roads putting everything you pass on fire :D. But no, I'll have it trailered :).

I'll also have someone with a bit more knowledge than me take a look at it, I checked the engine oil level earlier and it looks like it hasn't lost anything... Hopefully, I will be back on the roads pretty soon :).

Say what, I thought it was in everyones best interest to be blazing down the roads putting everything you pass on fire :D. But no, I'll have it trailered :).

I'll also have someone with a bit more knowledge than me take a look at it, I checked the engine oil level earlier and it looks like it hasn't lost anything.. Hopefully, I will be back on the roads pretty soon :).

So seems Chris is right, gearbox it is then.

So seems Chris is right, gearbox it is then.

How much of a problem would you think it is? If you could, in a way that I with my limited languange capabilities and knowledge of engines/cars in general can understand, explain a bit what seems to be the problem, I'd be more than greatfull! :)