The mkiv Supra Owners Club

tinted windows = chavvy?

ultra_supra

hi all

i'm thinkin about gettin my windows tinted over next couple of days but i don't want to ruin the look of the supra and risk it being called chavvy....do many of you have your windows tinted?

i'm thinkin either limo black rear windscreen/rear side windows & leave the front clear.

or tint rear windscreen/rear side windows dark smoke & fronts light smoke.

i've always had tinted windows on my cars - not only for style but equally for security...but don't wanna make the supra look chavved up...

I got light smoke on mine within a few weeks of ownership, I like the look and I like the way it keeps the interior cooler.

I currently have a spare rear hatch on the car, it has a darker tint, it's difficult to see things in the daytime and impossible at night, it's like driving a van with no rear windows.

Don't go too extreme and use good quality film.

Maybe I'm a chav.

Mine has limo black tint on rear window and rear quarters, side windows have a very light tint. Fine during the day but yeah reversing at night is a bit of an issue. It was on the car when I bought it otherwise I'd have gone for a bit of a lighter tint.

I like the look though :)

dont think a light tint is chavvy. As mentioned by Michael it serves a purpose, people can see less in the car and it helps keep the car cooler.

No supra can be more chavvy than the one I just bought! The previous owner has put a nice 'KENWOOD' sign in the rear window, before selling it they have removed the sign but its left a black mark on the window where the sun has bleached it and after trying everything under the sun to get it off Im sure the next step is to replace the glass! lol

thanks guys - i won't attempt it myself but have bee quoted £140 to tint all windows by the place i have used in the past.

i might view afew garages on here to get sum ideas of how it'll look

That is good price.

They look OK as long as you have a light tint and its the same on all the windows tinted.

You are right mate.

Be aware that the police in many places are cracking down on this. the law is 70% of light has to come through the front windows. You might find that this is already the case with yours so any further tints could make the car illegal. there have been cases of people immediately given points and not even rectification orders.

m.

My rear windows are blacked out limo style and tbh I find it a bit annoying at night!

Is there any way of easily removing the film without making the window underneath look sh!t!!

H.

I removed mine last weekend.

Acetone is the key.

1. Pull tints off, use a stanley knife to lift the edge and just pull.

2. Acetone on to a cloth and rub over acetone, aetone will go into glowy blobs and come off on cloth or fall off as you rub over.

Rear quarters took 10 mins each

Rear window about 45mins but I ran out of acetone :(

I tried paint thinners and everything else, but acetone was the best by miles and made the job easy.

thanks guys - i won't attempt it myself but have bee quoted £140 to tint all windows by the place i have used in the past.

i might view afew garages on here to get sum ideas of how it'll look

theres better prices than that,

national tint charges £125 for a 5 door and £99 for a 3 door

and there good

ill be goin for limo black on my back window and i dont use the rear window anyway,i use my mirrors to reverse anyway

Be aware that the police in many places are cracking down on this. the law is 70% of light has to come through the front windows. You might find that this is already the case with yours so any further tints could make the car illegal. there have been cases of people immediately given points and not even rectification orders.

m.

Spot on. Law changed in 2004. Look up the law on Pentagon Glass Tech's site. Also have alook at Nightshade's site. Quality products.:)

I have the back windows done black. were done when I got the car and as the car is black I think it looks pretty good and a good security feature if you have any sort of stereo equipment in the back. If its a light car light tints if its dark then dark tints thats what I think anyway!

Have fun....

Im gonna get mine done soon, ive had several cars with tinted glass and love the way it looks. Especially since most of the cars i've had are black, light/med tints look smart.

Coloured films or silver look cack IMO but a nice tint finishes the car really well.

One thing I will always stand by is they should all be the same tint strength (?) otherwise with the back blacked out it can make the fronts look almost untinted in comparison.

A kind of "I wanted to really tint my windows but this is all the law would let me do" kinda thing.

Has anyone on here used Axiom Tinting in Witham (Essex)?

Thats where i'll probably go to get mine done.

I removed mine last weekend.

Acetone is the key.

1. Pull tints off, use a stanley knife to lift the edge and just pull.

2. Acetone on to a cloth and rub over acetone, aetone will go into glowy blobs and come off on cloth or fall off as you rub over.

Rear quarters took 10 mins each

Rear window about 45mins but I ran out of acetone :(

I tried paint thinners and everything else, but acetone was the best by miles and made the job easy.

Good man WSB2!!;)

H.