The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Help - Overheating and Noise

Glosphil

I went to an exhaust place to get my first cat replaced yesterday as I couldnt do it.

The bloke tried to undo one of the nuts but he said it was undoing the thread from the manifold rather than the nut coming off.

He then said he couldnt do it and did it back up again.

Since then (dont know if its related or not) I have a metallic creaky repeating sound as I accelerate.

after I stopped I touched the side wing and it was red hot and the bonnet too, opened the bonnet and everything is red hot.

I have to drive back from Gloucester to Nottingham and im a bit worried.

What you guys think?

I went to an exhaust place to get my first cat replaced yesterday as I couldnt do it.

The bloke tried to undo one of the nuts but he said it was undoing the thread from the manifold rather than the nut coming off.

He then said he couldnt do it and did it back up again.

Since then (dont know if its related or not) I have a metallic creaky repeating sound as I accelerate.

after I stopped I touched the side wing and it was red hot and the bonnet too, opened the bonnet and everything is red hot.

I have to drive back from Gloucester to Nottingham and im a bit worried.

What you guys think?

sounds like he could have split the manifold cat flange maybe.

It could be exhaust gas that is heating the engine bay right.

just a guess.

I thought that, but when im not moving at idle with the bonnet up there is no sound, and if I rev it there is no sound, its only when accelerating under load, i.e driving. Thought it could be suspension making the noise, but doesnt do it while coasting etc.

hmmm sounds a bit fishy, if he suddenly did it back up again.

Sounds like under load there is a leak causing hot exhaust gas to escape - you often here this as some sort of strange ticking sounds as you put your foot down.

best take it back to the garage and tell them they've messed it up

(I take it your engine temperature reads normal still?)

Yes engine temp reads normal. But the wing and bonnet and inside is real hot. Air filter, intercooler pipes head metalwork was all real hot.

Cant go back as I'm in Gloucester and they shut, but have to go back home to Nottingham today.

Is it safe to drive?

It is possibly only happening when under load (i.e driving) as when driving the engine is putting a twisting load on the engine from turning the drive shaft, your engine may twist on its mounts a little, opening a hole in the manifold or something from the twisting movement.

Just a thought...?

It is possibly only happening when under load (i.e driving) as when driving the engine is putting a twisting load on the engine from turning the drive shaft, your engine may twist on its mounts a little, opening a hole in the manifold or something from the twisting movement.

Just a thought...?

yeah that's possible, you'd expect to be able to hear it though - unless you've got a loud exhaust already and it's masking the noise?

maybe try driving it as gently as possible, using low revs and min throttle and stop off after 10 mins or so and check it's ok, if the temps aren't so bad then I'd probably continue, cruising along A roads at 50-60mph should get good air flow and keep temperatures half sensible

cruising along A roads at 50-60mph should get good air flow and keep temperatures half sensible

I was also thinking this, it should keep temps down.:)

Also you could try getting someone to watch the engine while you put it in first and just hold the clutch on the bite point just rolling forward slightly to see if there is any lift or gaps etc...

Whats the process if thats the case?

Who should I take it to, to do the cat replacement and re-thread if necessary? In Nottingham area if anyone knows?

It'll need drilling and re-tapping, then a stepped stud made so you don't have to drill the manifold hole oversize.

Or drilling and helicoil insert put in, but if that is not done right you will always have sealing problems.

Can't help with the Nottingham area though mate. Sorry. But you're a darn sight nearer to decent shops like Envy than me mate.

Did you just cruise back mate? It's possible only a certain amount of load is doing it. Or it could be the internal surface of the manifold has coked up enough to seal the faces partially.

Wouldn't leave it mate, but would breathe a little easier. :)