The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Shock absorbers, which ones?

hoff

Ive just spoken to Chris Wilson regarding the knocking from my suspension. I was hoping that from my description that it might just be arm bolts that need tightening but it seem to be that I need new shock absorbers, thought it might be. I definately need some for the front and probably the reaf too. Does anyone have any opinions on which I should get, where from and how much im looking at?

Cheers:)

Ive just spoken to Chris Wilson regarding the knocking from my suspension. I was hoping that from my description that it might just be arm bolts that need tightening but it seem to be that I need new shock absorbers, thought it might be. I definately need some for the front and probably the reaf too. Does anyone have any opinions on which I should get, where from and how much im looking at?

Cheers:)

Hi Adam

If it is just new dampers you need, I'd recommend fitting a set of new Bilstein's. These were fitted on the later model Supras by Toyota and are one of the best damper setups available. See prices here:

http://mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=92431

cheers

Im not sure whats needed really nic. Need Chris to have a look 1st probably. The reason i thought it might be the shocks is because on the MOT note it mentioned 1 was bleeding.

If one of your dampers is leaking then time for a new set.

I am changing the suspension on a very low Supra next week, and part of the deal is I get his very nice Ohlins dampers. I intend to have them checked over on the shock dyno and rebuilt if required. I will then sell them with some sensibly rated springs. So if anyone is interested speak now. They are single (top) adjustable in situ, with adjustable ride height. I can also have them valved to suit track usage if that's what someone wants.

Just been looking on envy and whifbitz and Koni are the cheepest but am I right in thinking most people wouldn't touch them. Bearing in mind my supe is a daily driver and doesnt get pushed that hard, some rough and windy roads by me though.

Also, if i need to change one do i need to do all 4 or just the front/rear set?

Just fitted a set of KYB AGX Adjustables on a 94 n/a with the same problem, transformed the car and cured the knocks for £340, job is not difficult and took around 5 hrs using two jacks and a set of spring compressors from screwfix for £11. You will need a decent socket set to undo the bolts and a torqe wrench to do em up again.