The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Gearbox rebuilt but ouch ! But saw an interesting car too.

Muffleman

Right, thought I'd give a local performance company a try, usually use Turbofit but they are far from local, and this company is in my town.

They reckoned that a gearbox rebuild would certainly come in at under a grand including fitting etc. Just coughed up £1,500 :blink: Only 50% wrong then, does this seem steep ?

Anyway, they are building Steve Whitakers new drag car, and I've had a brief sneaky peak :eyebrows: Obviously couldn't take photos etc but, Mk 3 Supra drag car, 3.4 2JZGTE with a HUGE turbo, some of the pipework looks 5", at least 100mm throttle body, larger plenum, 2 speed gearbox etc etc. Blew a tyre on the dyno this week on low boost, but 1200hp estimated.

It's a full on drag car and could\should be running at the pod next week :)

I'll get the invoice from the car in a min, but 3rd 4th and reverse were knackered whilst car was with the mapper last. Dare say they were on their way anyway. Car was already in bits when you posted your box for sale mate, otherwise I'd have had yours :)

I'll get the invoice from the car in a min, but 3rd 4th and reverse were knackered whilst car was with the mapper last. Dare say they were on their way anyway. Car was already in bits when you posted your box for sale mate, otherwise I'd have had yours :)

syncro i would say

Right, 3rd and 4th hubs and synchros, reverse gear and syncrho, clutch pin and pivot, oil and seven hours labour. Two hours of which was to 'remove and investigate clutch plates, clean and refit' :rolleyes: Clutch plates were replaced not long ago !!!

How long should it take to remove and refit a gearbox ?

No more than 3 hours max.

That's why I drive to MK for my work ;)

Bet it shifts well now Matt:d

Been out playing with it today :D The car that is ;) Yeah much better now.

I just paid £1300 for a new clutch/flywheel 14 hrs labour and new clutch arm/ Geabox rebuild.

That seems good :)

Right, 3rd and 4th hubs and synchros, reverse gear and syncrho, clutch pin and pivot, oil and seven hours labour. Two hours of which was to 'remove and investigate clutch plates, clean and refit' :rolleyes: Clutch plates were replaced not long ago !!!

How long should it take to remove and refit a gearbox ?

I was charged 3.5hrs labour for a clutch/flywheel and seals change the other week. I think that was pretty good going when it included removing the box.