The mkiv Supra Owners Club

RadTec SMIC's

Angarak

Has anyone here got a RadTec SMIC on their Supra?

Was wondering what the quality of them are like whilst I await a reply from them regarding it.

From the attached pic (taken from their website) it looks like a nice piece of kit, but would prefer a 'review' from someone who has seen one in the flesh :)

radtec_smic.jpg

If it's shiny, it's got to be uprated, right?

Looks like uprated by 23%, give or take.

HTH:eyebrows:

(Seriously though, we'd also need to see a couple of higher-rez closeups that show the inside fins as well as the external ones.)

I'll try to get some better pictures from them and post them up.

it looks good quality, is it a direct replacement or an uprated one ?

Its an 'uprated' direct replacement according to their website. It should utilise stock brackets and piping.

I bought a RadTech uprated SMIC a couple of years back and it is a unit that works very well on my UK-spec.

The unit is deeper in depth than the stock SMICs and provides much more surface area for air to cool over.

I never wanted to go for the FMIC option as I've always thought it was a bit OTT for a BPU Supra and also it obstructs the main radiator which can see engine temps increase in the warmer weather.

I'm sure a FMIC would still result in cooler air into the engine when upto speed as opposed to a SMIC but the RadTech SMIC option I think is a good alternative.

Only word of caution with my experience is that fitting is tight in terms of space. If you are running larger rolling radius tyres than stock on the front it may catch on full lock. If you've got larger wheels but kept to the same rolling radius tyres than you should be fine. (emphasis on the word 'should') ;)

Has anyone here got a RadTec SMIC on their Supra?

Was wondering what the quality of them are like whilst I await a reply from them regarding it.

From the attached pic (taken from their website) it looks like a nice piece of kit, but would prefer a 'review' from someone who has seen one in the flesh :)

I am sure these are the same as the miami-GT ones; I reviewed the "uprated" one and posted my findings on the forum. search....

• 8 months later...
Could be interested in this one as i need to do something with mine if im going single!!

umm i mean when...lol;)

wonder if someone has done this on their single...

I'll go ahead and try it out in a months time.

• 2 weeks later...

chaps - sorry to drag this one up again.. .but has anyone got one of these and have managed to fit the wheel arch liner?? If so, how have you done it?

I understand that these IC's are much thicker than the OEM units... but surely they'd not be designed so that the arch liner doesn't fit afterwards?

chaps - sorry to drag this one up again.. .but has anyone got one of these and have managed to fit the wheel arch liner?? If so, how have you done it?

I understand that these IC's are much thicker than the OEM units... but surely they'd not be designed so that the arch liner doesn't fit afterwards?

Anyone?

AFAIK you can't fit the liner back, the stock FMIC comes very close. Take this as you will (I used to sell uprated SMIC's, so you MAY see me as biased), but a deeper (thicker) core than stock is poor, according to my rad people, and they are experts, over a certain thickness air flow over the tubes at the back is badly impaired, and they reckon the stock one is as thick as can be. The stock liner aids air flow into the low pressure area of the front wheel arch, removing it may have air flow consequences, and for sure won't help the intercoolers longevity if it's being blasted by road debris off the front tyre. You may be able to cut it a bit, but to me it seems a bit of a lash up if that's what's required to fit it.