The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Have you upgraded to UK brakes?

DaveK

I'm seriously considering joining Nic's group buy - but I'm interested in opinions from people who have done it.

The main issue I have with my brakes is that I seem to have to apply quite a lot of pressure to the pedal if I want to stop quickly. I spoke to Mark / Phoenix earlier this week and he said that I would see a difference with UK brakes (he recommended that I do front only since I have an NA) but he also suggested going for braided hoses, a full bleed and having the discs skimmed as a cheaper option.

If you've had it done - what difference did you notice? I think that if I did get them I'd get the brakes bled / braided hoses fitted anyway - so I wonder if I should just do that and see what difference it makes before buying the bigger brakes.

I'm picking up 17" wheels tomorrow - and will need to put 4 tyres on them - so I need some justification to immediately add the cost of UK brakes this month.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

although upgraded brakes are most likely in the pipeline for me, I was surprised that j-spec brakes really arn't that bad when I put new TRD pads in. I think the main problem is fade, I've not had that with the new pads yet so it will do for now.

sorry it's not quite what you're asking but if you want to put the upgrade off for a while you might get similar improvements with new pads and fluid and stuff until you're ready for the additional outlay

must add it probably depends how you drive too

if its any help dave if got uk brakes. you can have a blast in mine tomorrow to feel the difference

Actually - that would be cool. I only need to drive about 20 yards and brake to see if I can notice a difference. Thanks.

although upgraded brakes are most likely in the pipeline for me, I was surprised that j-spec brakes really arn't that bad when I put new TRD pads in. I think the main problem is fade, I've not had that with the new pads yet so it will do for now.

sorry it's not quite what you're asking but if you want to put the upgrade off for a while you might get similar improvements with new pads and fluid and stuff until you're ready for the additional outlay

must add it probably depends how you drive too

I don't actually drive the Supra hard - although occasionally, I need to stop unexectedly quickly. I just want the brakes to be a bit sharper in those conditions.

I'll see how Matlee's are - but I think I might also try fluid / hose / pad replacement before going for UKs.

ok well TRD pads get the thumbs up from me, getting better bite now. They can be had from fensport for quite reasonable prices (they also sell the uk ones too should you need them)

I think I might try braided front hoses next, look really easy to replace diy and a cheap improvement to make, good time to flush the fluid through and replace too

I spoke to Mark / Phoenix earlier this week and he said that I would see a difference with UK brakes (he recommended that I do front only since I have an NA)

Strange bit of advice - NA's are still 130mph+ cars aren't they?

I had j-spec brakes on my TT, fully fuctioning (no seized sliders etc), stock pads, but the car always felt like it needed more brakes.

Fitted UK's all round, with braided hoses and SRF fluid while I was at it, and it felt like a proper sports car. The ABS even kicks in nowadays:)

There are some uprated pads for the j-spec brakes but it seems like half a job to me and any performance increase can be offset against wear / noise / dust issues. Also, uprated pads for the UK setup make them even better as well, but with the same downsides.

Your 20 yard test drive will do enough to convince you :)

I think I may take the "sensible" approach first and see how I get on. I'll have 17s so can go to UK brakes if I need to.

But I have some spare discs which are hardly worn. I can get better pads and get braided hoses fitted, and see what the result is. If it's not good enough (and I can compare it to how Matlee's car feels tomorrow) then all it's really cost me is the J-spec pads.

I still have my jap brakes on (although i have uk calipers to go on)

They are good if you know how to use them (their strengths) and use the right fluid and pads. I think they are on a par with uk spec below 80 leptons.

If you are in to high speed jaunts and stop regularly from said speeds then uk brakes are probably for you, if you prefer the slower speeds below 80 leptons then stick with the jap brakes (for now) but get decent fluid and pads to go with it and i doubt you would notice much difference.

Using J-spec brakes with brand new OEM disks all round and CW Fast Road Pads too here Dave. I must say, massive improvemement over the stock pads and for me the brakes bite perfectly.

However, I am getting a lot of brake pad squeal and dust from the pads, but hey if they stop me quicker who really cares :)

I changed up to UK brakes on my NA and really can't see the point. I'm not one to lean heavily on the brakes whilst driving so just don't get the full benefit of them. I'm sure I would in an emergency so I'm happy for them to stay on (even though I've had to revert to horrid stock 17s :()

Thanks for all the comments.

I drove Matlee's car around the block, and that was enough to convinced me that his brakes do feel the way I want mine to. The question remains whether I can do it without changing to the bigger calipers.

I think I will wait until the next service, and get braided hoses, a complete bleed and new pads plus get the discs skimmed (or get the spare discs I've got fitted). I think that will probably do the trick - if not, I will order UK calipers and discs.

The only decision now is : fit the 17" wheels I collected today (meaning I need 4 17" tyres) or just stick with the 16s in case I don't go the UK caliper route (which means I just need two rear 16" tyres). Decisions, decisions.....

If you need tyres for the 16"s then just don't bother. It'll be money you are throwing away. Bite the bullet and buy 2 extra tyres for the 17"s have a looksee on http://www.camskill.co.uk they are currently the cheapest tyres I have found. As far as the brakes go, the first thing you said is you wanted better response from them. You'll actually get better response by fitting the stainless lines and uprating your fluid to a better fluid. New pads will help as will new discs as to a certain degree will servicing your calipers with a new seal kit (I'm sure they about £20 or something like that). If you don't use your brakes much above 80 mph regularly then really there is little or no point in going up to UK spec, in fact as they have more piston area to move you'll effectively lose response as you physically have to shift more fluid into 4 pot 2 pots than 2 pot 1 pots. For me I would do the lines and fluid change first. Then make my mind up on the UK swap so you don't waste money on the J-spec pads and discs that you'll never recoup your money on.

If you need tyres for the 16"s then just don't bother. It'll be money you are throwing away. Bite the bullet and buy 2 extra tyres for the 17"s have a looksee on http://www.camskill.co.uk they are currently the cheapest tyres I have found.

That kind of depends. I will only fit the 17s if I decide to go for the bigger brakes - they have no other benefit to me. If I stick with the brakes I've got, there isn't much point in swapping wheels - it just means my tyres will start costing me more.

Also a brace for the master cylinder will help firm up the pedal feel and transfer more of the power to the brakes.

What's that? I've never heard of such a thing.

What's that? I've never heard of such a thing.

Here is a pic of the Cusco master cylinder stopper on my car.

http://img526.imageshack.us/img526/8040/attachment1phppj6.jpg

The other alternative is the Carbing front strut brace which has a built in brace for the brake master cylinder.

http://f10.putfile.com/7/18616374710.jpg

If you get someone to press the brake pedal whilst idling, you will see a degree of flex in master cylinder assembly. Basically the brace minimises any flex, which helps firm up the pedal and transfer more of the power to the brakes.