The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Petrol smell

ellis

Never the best fluid smell to have in your car! The car smells of it round the back and inside. Moreso outside when the car is stopped. Off to have a local garage take a quick look later this morning. If you hear a loud bang and see a mushroom cloud on the horizon, thats me looking for the leak with a lighted match!!

Never the best fluid smell to have in your car! The car smells of it round the back and inside. Moreso outside when the car is stopped. Off to have a local garage take a quick look later this morning. If you hear a loud bang and see a mushroom cloud on the horizon, thats me looking for the leak with a lighted match!!

Hi m8

I've had the same thing of late, crawled under the car but no sign of leaks from the tank so wondering if its the fuel line worn split/perished etc. Be interested to hear what they say, let me know ;) Hope its nowt bad! :blink:

Linda

x

Hi m8

I've had the same thing of late, crawled under the car but no sign of leaks from the tank so wondering if its the fuel line worn split/perished etc. Be interested to hear what they say, let me know ;) Hope its nowt bad! :blink:

Linda

x

I hope so too - I can't cope if much more goes wrong!!!

Are you sure? The fuel tank is plastic with a metal sheild and are not known for splitting unless you hit something v. hard. The metal fuel lines run over between the top of the tank and the underside of the body and I know of at least 1 uk spec thats had a corroded fuel line start leaking there.

I know I've not hit anything hard - the cover is unmarked! There's a pool coming through one of the small cover vents on the right hand side - anybody any thoughts?

I guess the best thing would be to get the cover off.

Do you have a new fuel pump in?

Maybe a case of the fuel pump hanger securing ring not being tightened down enough.

Open the inspection cover and have a look.

The fuel pump was uprated about a year ago now. The only time its been exposed was when Weston were checking bits out but that was just wiring.

It sounds like the fuel is running out of a split pipe and down the tank, then dripping out of the vent. Heres a screenshot of the uk spec fuel system from the epc. The bit in the red circle is hidden above the fuel tank and rear suspension. I would bet one of those lines has corroded and split. You can either get a new fuel line ready made from toyota that runs the full length of the car, or most garages should be able to just get a repair section made up to replace the damaged bit. Its impossible to say which one has gone, without dropping the fuel tank a bit.

Lol nice. Good luck Ellis mate. Mine's not that bad at all, can only smell it after a hard run tbh and just thought it was 'normal'!

Hopefully a new strawberry air refreshener will cover up the smell :)

What you can't smell can't affect you right? ;)

It sounds like the fuel is running out of a split pipe and down the tank, then dripping out of the vent. Heres a screenshot of the uk spec fuel system from the epc. The bit in the red circle is hidden above the fuel tank and rear suspension. I would bet one of those lines has corroded and split. You can either get a new fuel line ready made from toyota that runs the full length of the car, or most garages should be able to just get a repair section made up to replace the damaged bit. Its impossible to say which one has gone, without dropping the fuel tank a bit.

Cheers for that mate - will print this out and take it with me on Monday!:)