The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Parking Ticket - Should I dispute it ?

Sharpie

Should I dispute the ticket ?  

28 members have voted

1. 1. Should I dispute the ticket ?

• Yes
    • No

Parked outside one of our offices where, they are in a multi-tenant building and parking is limited. It is common practice to park on any spare ground around the front of the building (all hard surface) and I take it's private land too.

I came out to find a Penalty Charge Notice Code:01- On street- Parked in a restricted street during prescribed hours

You can clearly see I'm not parked on the road which, has the restrictions on it.

Should I fight it ?

If I don't pay £30 within the next 14 days it goes up to £60

P1050459.JPG

Guest Nicholas

I recently sucessfully sued a clamping company for clamping my car on a private road, pay the fee and sue them thought the small claims court for £30 you'll get every penny back! :)

I recently successfully sued a clamping company for clamping my car on a private road, pay the fee and sue them thought the small claims fee for £30 you'll get every penny back! :)

On what grounds? Coincidently I'm thinking of going out and clamping someone right now. ;)

Basically we have a few allotted spaces for our staff and customers. The neighbouring PlayPit attracts lots of idiot mothers who can't read signs and just dump vehicles in the most stupid of places. Anyway, we put signs up saying we'll clamp and issue a fine, which have been ignored on occasion. Feeling a little grumpy today I'm tempted to go for one.

How did your case go against the clamper?

Guest Nicholas

I told the court I was loading up which I had been, the fact that I then stayed parked for 2 hours and had a nice chat with my mates were irrelevant The clamping company never showed up at court and were made to refund me the full amount plus court costs and my cab fare to get there!

On what grounds? Coincidently I'm thinking of going out and clamping someone right now. ;)

Basically we have a few allotted spaces for our staff and customers. The neighbouring PlayPit attracts lots of idiot mothers who can't read signs and just dump vehicles in the most stupid of places. Anyway, we put signs up saying we'll clamp and issue a fine, which have been ignored on occasion. Feeling a little grumpy today I'm tempted to go for one.

How did your case go against the clamper?

I told the court I was loading up which I had been, the fact that I then stayed parked for 2 hours and had a nice chat with my mates were irrelevant The clamping company never showed up at court and were made to refund me the full amount plus court costs and my cab fare to get there!

Ah...so no probs from my PoV then. :)

It all depends on whether the brickweave bit is private land or not and where the boundary lies between the private land and the highway.

Generally the 'highway' includes the verges. If the boundary is marked by the edges of the bricks, and anything beyond that is maintained by the council, then they have you I'm afraid. (Because your drivers side wheels are on the 'highway')

If both 'roads' in the pic are public highway, then the only way out that I see with this one is if they are separate roads. In that case, you might be able to successfully argue that you considered yourself to be parking on the road where there were no parking restrictions. (i.e. I clearly parked on brickweave avenue, not tarmac street. The double yellows are on tarmac street - there's no restrictions on brickweave avenue)

It's certainly worth disputing if you don't mind losing the extra cash in the event that you lose.

I have to say though, that the person issuing the ticket was being a bit picky!

Looking at the picture again - is that road to the left a dual carriageway? Is this not therefore a one-way road and the traffic parked on the brickweave part are all facing the other direction? (And indeed there is a road marking for traffic going against the direction of the dual carriageway)

I'd say you were parked on a different road in this case. Traffic can't be said to be on the same road if there's a one-way restriction on the tarmac bit that is being contravened by the traffic on the brickweave bit. If it was all one road, then the cars following the 'exit' sign would be committing an offence. (Or at least I'd make this the basis for any argument!)

I know the parking regs quite well. i used to work for the company that makes the software on a lot of the wardens little handheld computer things.

Despute it. They wont fight it its nowhere near worth there while. And besides your not parked on the road where the lines are.

Very much doubt you have to pay for it.