The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Hi flow cats

cheekymonkey

Hi Guys

Right, still in Japan but dying to get back to doing stuff with my Supe!

As some of you know I have a full custom stainless steel exhaust system from the first cat, and it's pretty loud.

To go BPU I would need to fully de-cat but it may end up being too loud.

Would a high-flow first cat help me, or would high-flow still mean it's going to be too loud? And is such a thing made for the first cat section?

I just got the first cat installed again. From there backwards i have a fully custom 3" exhaust with a straight through stainless 3" muffler.

I don't think it is too loud but that is probably more up to the muffler than anything else. BUT the point here is that the sound almost hasnt change from running no cats to having the first cat reinstalled. Only change in sound I notice is at high rev where it seemed to be a bit louder before.

Are complete de-cat need for BPU? Couldn't you just install a Boost Controller and push to 1.1 bar or so?

You do need to de-cat for full BPU else you're EGTs will get too high, this is what I've heard...

p*sh!:rolleyes:

BPU is a term not a set achievement, I ran 1.1bar with first cat still on and 391 at fly,

I always remember first coming on this forum(afer a year of supra ownership) after doing most of my research on the U.S forum and being slated for referring to something as bpu, no one knew what it meant, it was referred to as American

Now it seems as if everyone needs to achieve this set formula to bpu, you can be single turbo and still have first cat in!

Removing first cat will increase performance, but its not essential, especially for reliability

BPU is a term not a set achievement, I ran 1.1bar with first cat still on and 391 at fly,

Well, that's good for you. I probably *could* do the same, but until I get my gauges installed I'd be running blind. Once I do, I can keep an eye on things, and if my EGTs stay at a sensible level with the first cat still in, then great :D

p*sh!:rolleyes:

I always remember first coming on this forum(afer a year of supra ownership) after doing most of my research on the U.S forum and being slated for referring to something as bpu, no one knew what it meant, it was referred to as American

Now it seems as if everyone needs to achieve this set formula to bpu, you can be single turbo and still have first cat in!

Removing first cat will increase performance, but its not essential, especially for reliability

Thats going against the opinions of pretty much every tuner and engine builder on the forum.

If you leave the 1st cat in place and raise boost, your WILL get higher EGT's. It is strongly advisable to remove the first cat when raising boost to help take some of that heat away from the turbo's and engine back.

bodilx6, for the same reason you're going it raising boost the wrong way.

Thats going against the opinions of pretty much every tuner and engine builder on the forum.

If you leave the 1st cat in place and raise boost, your WILL get higher EGT's. It is strongly advisable to remove the first cat when raising boost to help take some of that heat away from the turbo's and engine back.

bodilx6, for the same reason you're going it raising boost the wrong way.

:yeahthat:

Plus the fact that you could run the risk of overheating the cat.

So having a first cat in running at 1.2bar is going to raise exh. gas temperatures to dangerous levels?

I agree the temps will be raised due to the restriction of the forces on the turbos, but they wont be catastrophic, I have defi x6, I'll report back on the decrease of my exh. gas temp when I go single, perhaps I'll be pleasantly surprised