The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Improving Cornering

Glosphil

Anyone know what can be done to improve cornering?

Went round a roundabout tonight with a modded 205, can do it on the straights but not confident throwing it into the corners like he was so he took me.

It doesnt feel safe really turning hard into corners unlike other cars I've owned.

What can be done?

Thanks

p.s. running factory yellow bilstein shocks and unknown black springs. assuming factory.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In reference to HKS, I have had the Hyper Max II for about 3 years now, I have been really impressed with how they have performed on the street / track. I would HIGHLY recommend going with HKS for any application, you will not be disappointed!

Cheers,

Joe

The big brands are a good bet. HKS, TEIN the list goes on.

Or a Chris Wilson set up.

Instead of paying out all that money, firstly you may benefit from one of these:

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=113840

I'm still on stock suspension, and I kept up easily with a new MR2 on the twisties, because I wasn't bracing myself on every bend!

Are you getting a cut from any sales of these or something? That's several times I've seen you mention it in vaguely handling related threads.

If your handling is that poor, get the geometry checked out - often that can be the easiest and cheapest way of sorting out your car. Also make sure your tyres have the correct pressure.

It's often best to start with the simple stuff before spending out loads of cash - wrong tyre pressures and geometry can turn a great handling car into a piece of cr@p very easily.

The big brands are a good bet. HKS, TEIN the list goes on.

Personally I think the TEIN's are generally poo, they get fitted so much because they are cheap not because they are good.

A firm crashy ride isn't a good ride, controlled movement with the minimum of fuss is what you want, but good dampers arn't cheap. If you only spend about 1k of 4 shocks you're at the lower end of the market.

When I ask Multimatic (Dynamic Suspension) for a quote for 4 custom dampers they suggested in the region of 1.25k per damper!!

TEIN's are cheap and prone to leak.

European Ohlins, Bilstien's etc are what you really want for a good compromise....and CW's kit is based on Bilstiens.

But as has been mentioned...check the easy stuff first. Tyre pressures and Geo...go on a track day and learn how to drive round corners...

I disagree. There are several models of TEIN, SS being the cheap ones. Something like the flex setup would be much better. Lets be honest here, who is going to spend 5k on Multimatic suspension for a street car?

Yup TEINS used to leak wit the older models, i believe they have now sorted that issue and they have as much chance of leaking as the rest of them.

Just for the record, for the money i think you would be hard pushed to beat my current setup for the money. TEIN (nasty leaky cheap poo things :lol:) FLEX, full geo and F1's all round.

I disagree. There are several models of TEIN, SS being the cheap ones. Something like the flex setup would be much better. Lets be honest here, who is going to spend 5k on Multimatic suspension for a street car?

I was pointing out there is a huge difference between good dampers and the one's we see fitted to Supra's

LOTS of people spend 5K on a body kit, fancy painting and funny wheels. Thing is, they can be seen, it takes a purist with the desire to enjoy driving the car, rather than making it an object of juvenile envy, to spend that sort of money on bits that can't be seen or evaluated on a chavometer :)

LOTS of people spend 5K on a body kit, fancy painting and funny wheels. Thing is, they can be seen, it takes a purist with the desire to enjoy driving the car, rather than making it an object of juvenile envy, to spend that sort of money on bits that can't be seen or evaluated on a chavometer :)

Awesome post... loved the wording... Post of the year for me!!

They also balk at £200 on a driving course ;)

-Ian

:yeahthat:

I think it was Alex who, in reply to another 'How can I get my car to go faster' thread, said something along the lines of 'A lot of us should be learning how to hit a few more apexes before spending thousands on go faster kit'!

Soooooo true.

Personally I think the TEIN's are generally poo, they get fitted so much because they are cheap not because they are good.

A firm crashy ride isn't a good ride, controlled movement with the minimum of fuss is what you want, but good dampers arn't cheap. If you only spend about 1k of 4 shocks you're at the lower end of the market.

To be fair the new range of Tein coilovers are a lot better than the older models they replaced, my car was fitted with an old set of Tein's and they did crash over bumps and were swamped when they started to leak. I've not heard the same about the current Tein models.

Are you getting a cut from any sales of these or something? That's several times I've seen you mention it in vaguely handling related threads.

Yeah totally agree on that front, and how these would have any effect on the handling of the car I'll never know...

Those IKeya parts look pretty nifty, though is it money well spent?

Exactly how much of an improvement is there going to be?

I have rollcage, uprated front and rear sway bars(Gonna change to titan ones soon), hks hipermax drag, front and rear strut bars, do luck under floor bars and mid bar...then a set of f*cking 19's!

They look so nice but they gotta come off, would the Ikeya parts make a noticeable difference? I think the TRD diff will complete my setup

They look so nice but they gotta come off, would the Ikeya parts make a noticeable difference? I think the TRD diff will complete my setup

A member has recently ordered a set of Ikeya Formula parts from me, should be here in the next few weeks, so hopefully we can get some feedback once installed.