The mkiv Supra Owners Club

What a difference a diff makes !

tooquicktostop

Got my car back yesterday evening from TF after they changed my diff over from the race spec diff I had fitted when I had the 6 speed conversion, the conversion components were purchased by me and the diff was supplied as an unknown spec, it was a big surprise to me at Santa Pod that with my spec I was only getting 13.7 1/4 mile times and was having to grab 5th gear, it turns our the ratio of the diff was set up for acceleration and was costing me a lot of terminal speed, for example I was at red line in 4th at 95mph, I knew something was wrong but as both my last Supras were Auto i had nothing as a bench mark, well the transformation is amazing and I have been playing all day :D , along with the new twin fuel pumps and FPR (thanks Gaz ;) ) I am getting there now, just need to move the mapping up from the 0.8 bar to 1.5 again now the fuel is sorted and I am ready for the pod again in two weeks time :)

Got my car back yesterday evening from TF after they changed my diff over from the race spec diff I had fitted when I had the 6 speed conversion, the conversion components were purchased by me and the diff was supplied as an unknown spec, it was a big surprise to me at Santa Pod that with my spec I was only getting 13.7 1/4 mile times and was having to grab 5th gear, it turns our the ratio of the diff was set up for acceleration and was costing me a lot of terminal speed, for example I was at red line in 4th at 95mph, I knew something was wrong but as both my last Supras were Auto i had nothing as a bench mark, well the transformation is amazing and I have been playing all day :D , along with the new twin fuel pumps and FPR (thanks Gaz ;) ) I am getting there now, just need to move the mapping up from the 0.8 bar to 1.5 again now the fuel is sorted and I am ready for the pod again in two weeks time :)

glad your getting it all sorted, i presume your running it at the JapShow then?!?!

Cheers

Hurry up Jap show, I'm getting quite excited now.

Me too :D Really looking forward to next weekend.

tooquicktostop, sorry if I've misunderstood, but have you gone from a tight clutch type diff to a stock one, or vice versa? I'd have expected the tight diff to be superior for drag racing as it'll distribute the torque better to the wheels (Less chance of one wheel getting all the power).

Or is simply down to having a long final drive ratio (Less gear changes)?

Me too :D Really looking forward to next weekend.

tooquicktostop, sorry if I've misunderstood, but have you gone from a tight clutch type diff to a stock one, or vice versa? I'd have expected the tight diff to be superior for drag racing as it'll distribute the torque better to the wheels (Less chance of one wheel getting all the power).

Or is simply down to having a long final drive ratio (Less gear changes)?

I had a diff that had a very close ratio and gave me good acceleration but at a cost of terminal speed, I was well into 5th gear at the finish and only reaching 105mph, the new diff is close to standard in its ratio and does well over 100 in 4th gear, hope that makes it clear ? :D

I had a diff that had a very close ratio and gave me good acceleration but at a cost of terminal speed, I was well into 5th gear at the finish and only reaching 105mph, the new diff is close to standard in its ratio and does well over 100 in 4th gear, hope that makes it clear ? :D

All clear now, cheers :D I was just asking Jake about 4th gear temrinals, his 130mph terminal was done in 4th so I think both of us should be okay to use it for Jap show :)

Glad that you could get that swapped out and into something more speed effective! I am sure that you will appreciate the speed that the car allows you to for now. GL with the race as im sure you will be impressed with the outcome! Let me know how things go.

Cheers,

Joe