The mkiv Supra Owners Club

diffs

grahamc

ok, I am now considering the TRD diff. I have also seen a couple of videos of an evo (standard), then with a diff, then with a cusco diff, or something like that.

What are the different types of diffs?

What are pros and cons of those types?

How do you choice the one best for you?

My car is running hybrids, link ecu, cams, about 450bhp... UK brakes, CW fast road pads, braided lines.

At the same time I get the diff done, I want to have the CW suspension setup done as well.

I thought about this as well, and I read some posts on the TRD diff, and the general thing that was said was they break away sharper, bit more of a bite it seems, and I would rather a diff that you can read more easily, or lets you get away with more, instead of it cathing you out.

I would be asking myself:

Do I need a more capable diff, is mine not up to its job ?

If its good for the job, why do you want to change it ?

As the old saying goes, if it aint broke, dont fix it....;)

well, just been watching that video of the evo, and just seeing how much the handling improves with the diff, looks awesome!!! seems to give it so much more driveablility.

But the questions you ask are spot on... Its those sorts of answers that I need to make my decision.

Your comment about the trd diff is abit of a shock... That is definitely not what I want.

I believe in "drive it like you stole it" so it will break eventually... :p

Ask JamieP he has some good experiences with the TRD diffs :D :d :D

Does he? I thought he only had the stock 6 speed ones (which are not great IMO). His original car only had a Torsen diff and I'm sure the replacement was a Torsen one too.

BTW: There are two main types of LSD diff for the Supra, the Torsen and the clutch type TRD. Clutch type diffs are a different world to torsen and are far sharper on wind and unwind. I hate the stock one, it's barely better than a crappy open one.

well, just been watching that video of the evo, and just seeing how much the handling improves with the diff, looks awesome!!! seems to give it so much more driveablility.

But the questions you ask are spot on... Its those sorts of answers that I need to make my decision.

Your comment about the trd diff is abit of a shock... That is definitely not what I want.

I believe in "drive it like you stole it" so it will break eventually... :p

Im not saying it will break, its probably stronger then a standard diff, but its purpose is different, and from what I can tell it can be a bit more aggressive, as in when it breaks away it might not be as gental or readable with the standard diff. I would say if you drive it like you stole it, you dont want something that could catch you out more, I dunno Im probably talking bollox by now, lol, why am I getting wrecked while on the forum again, lol, happy days, I love these cars, been out really enjoying mine today, best habbit I ever found I think Im at that time were we need a :love: smiley :D[i/]

Was just making my position of advice clear here......:innocent:

Im not saying it will break, its probably stronger then a standard diff, but its purpose is different, and from what I can tell it can be a bit more aggressive, as in when it breaks away it might not be as gental or readable with the standard diff. I would say if you drive it like you stole it, you dont want something that could catch you out more, I dunno Im probably talking bollox by now, lol, why am I getting wrecked while on the forum again, lol, happy days, I love these cars, been out really enjoying mine today, best habbit I ever found I think Im at that time were we need a :love: smiley :D[i/]

Was just making my position of advice clear here......:innocent:

Can definitely see your point of view. Its just that from what I have seen, they help with the handling, looks more controllable... I might be talking complete bollox now!

Are there a couple of different types of LSDs as well?? 1.5, 2.0 or something like that?

Can definitely see your point of view. Its just that from what I have seen, they help with the handling, looks more controllable... I might be talking complete bollox now!

Are there a couple of different types of LSDs as well?? 1.5, 2.0 or something like that?

You've been playing too much GT4 ;)

If you're seriously interested in a proper diff setup give Chris Wilson a call. He'll set a few things straight ;)

1.5,2.0 and Full Lock refers to the settings on the TRD LSD. 1.5 is standard, 2.0 is a little tougher and then the diff can be locked fully, pretty sure thats right.

Im thinking of getting a TRD to replace my open diff on my NA, as the stock sucks, seems to hate right hand turns in the wet, get mad understeer and the car just judders instead of the back coming out.

My head cant deal with this, I'll come back tomorrow......:innocent: But Im sure its all very usefull, I apologise Im probably being a cock, but boredom is setting in....

Does anyone still have good fights on here, I need some juicy reading to entertain me......

Any pointers, bit morbid I know, like looking at a car crash, but hey entertaining reading is well, entertaining.......:D