The mkiv Supra Owners Club

n/a to tt converstion and the law??

Blackie

hi all, i was thinking about selling my n/a and buying a twin turbo but as mine is in such good nick i thought i would buy a tt engine and bolt it in. once i have done this does anyone know if i have to have the documents change? does it just count as a unmodified twin turbo for insurance companys? do i have to have an engineers report? getting the engine and fitting is the easy part, i also dont want to be screwed by my insurance, anyone thats done it or knows please help, cheers :eyebrows:

hi all, i was thinking about selling my n/a and buying a twin turbo but as mine is in such good nick i thought i would buy a tt engine and bolt it in. once i have done this does anyone know if i have to have the documents change? does it just count as a unmodified twin turbo for insurance companys? do i have to have an engineers report? getting the engine and fitting is the easy part, i also dont want to be screwed by my insurance, anyone thats done it or knows please help, cheers :eyebrows:

i would say you would have to tell the DVLA or something...?

Not overly sure tho, someone will have to clarify this!

Cheers

I would think that all the DVLA would be interested in is the change of engine number.

Insurance is a different matter, however. You will have to check. Just as it is (apparently) more expensive to insure an import TT than a UK TT, it might well be more expensive to insure a converted TT N/A than a factory TT.

You have to tell the insurers about it for def. By doing this some companies will just rate it as a TT, but others wont be able to quote as it aint on the system and some will charge big bucks. And finally not all companies will need an engineers report.

its a hard one, i would like to keep mine as (though i say it myself) is mint. i will get a couple of quotes from the insurance company, does anyone know where and how to get an engineers report from?

id though a trader on here or one of many garages could help with that if they think you going to spend 4k with them :)

DVLA may want to inspect the car to confirm the engine number and check that its not from a stolen vehicle.

I have changed engines in cars before many times and have just told DVLA by covering letter and sending the V5 back and have never been asked to take it for an inspection.

Not sure about the insurance side of things though. When I spoke with Sky insurance to get a quote on the NA with a supercharger mod, they just wanted to know the approximate BHP increase and quoted me a bit more after they had spoken to their underwriters.