The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Battery woes

Henk

OK laugh if you want I left my lights on when I arrived at work yesterday.

My alarm keyfob warned me of battery issue a few hours later and I went to investigate. Side lights dim, no juice for starting, jump started off a colleague, left both cars running for 20 odd minutes.

End of day few hours later car starts no problem, drove home (45 mins) parked in garage, thought no more of it.

This morning dead as a dodo, dash lights but not even a click when trying to start.

Jump started off daily driver (determined to drive the Supra in this weather :)) went to work all electrics turned off, no AC, music etc. (Exhaust & turbos is all the music I need ;) )

End of day dead as dodo, jump started, now home.

So Battery not holding a charge anymore, does running it down once kill it?

Considering you don't know the history of the battery anyway, it might not only have been run down once.

I'd certainly replace it before I worried it was something else.

How did you manage to leave your lights on? Mine has an alarm.

OK laugh if you want I left my lights on when I arrived at work yesterday.

My alarm keyfob warned me of battery issue a few hours later and I went to investigate. Side lights dim, no juice for starting, jump started off a colleague, left both cars running for 20 odd minutes.

End of day few hours later car starts no problem, drove home (45 mins) parked in garage, thought no more of it.

This morning dead as a dodo, dash lights but not even a click when trying to start.

Jump started off daily driver (determined to drive the Supra in this weather :)) went to work all electrics turned off, no AC, music etc. (Exhaust & turbos is all the music I need ;) )

End of day dead as dodo, jump started, now home.

So Battery not holding a charge anymore, does running it down once kill it?

Putting a battery down to its very last volt and still drawing off of it could damage it long term, if it has had any age and been used for some time, it may not be able to recover from it and regain its charge. Also check your alternator and make sure that is supplying the proper amperage to the battery. What all are you running in your car electronics wise? Is it a stock Alternator?

cheers,

Joe

I've no way of knowing how old it is nor it's history as it was with the car.

However, as soon as I realised (each time) it was dead I stopped trying and jump started with at least a 45 minute drive home charging it. (Stock alternator, looks in great condition)

Electrics wise, stock car with following additions:

Clifford Matrix 3.5x

Apexi AVC-R

AEM Wideband

JVC Double DIN 7" DVD screen/radio/MP3 player

I've no idea what equipment I need to check alternator performance, any tips?

halfords hcb005 :)

I second that, good battery for the money :) and money well spent as it's such an important component. 4 year guarantee too!

taking a battery to completely flat often will damage it, they really don;t like it at all and now one or more of the cells might be dead or dying (sometimes you can see this as they get damp on top when charging).

get a new one and stop worrying about it :)

PS: if it was completely flat it will take quite some time for it to charge _fully_ again anyway...

I did already purchase one of those HCB005's

I disconnected the battery, fitted new one

(remembered to switch side lights on before connecting new one)

Car starts fine, but....

Runs rough as shit!!!!! Having trouble idling, nearly stalls.

Remember stock ECU here with only 1/2 BPU.

Will this go away? How do I get the ECU to re-learn how to idle?

I daren't drive it in case of doing damage.

It's hardly idling, barely hanging on just above 500 rpm

AEM Wideband normally shows 14.6 or 14.7 at idle, it is off scale high, so over fueling right?

I tried removing Fuses, had battery disconnected for about 20 mins, cleaned battery terminals.

Does it instantly reset? Do you drive it for it to relearn? Don't want to risk anything....

All fixed! Thank you all!

You were right, in fact just driving it 200 yards was enough. I was worried though because it was well rough those 200 yards!

Turning side lights on when connecting battery can protect things like your alarm, ECU etc. from receiving a power surge when you reconnect the battery. Top Tip from TurboFit on my first visit there (never forgotten it)