The mkiv Supra Owners Club

My Supra's has been badly bodged. Help please - Im desperate!

Sparky

Hi all. well ive had my supr in at the workshop for a few days now and the mechanics have found a few expensive and shitty bodges on the flywheel and clutch!!!!

Basically the garage i bought it from said they replaced the clutch when i went to pick it up, a week after i first viewed it.. hmmm.

So what have they done,.... well firstly the flywheel has had an angle grinder to it. I wouldnt of believed it myself but ive seen it. It looks like the clutch has been broken in the past, damaged the flywheel and theyve skimmed it down with an angle grinder to make it flat again (warped possibly)..

So problem 1, I need a jspec flywheel for a mkiv Supra.... let me guess £1000 yeh????

Next the reaction arm is knackered as the bushs have broken off causing noise. Ive been told i can have nylon bushs made at no expense from the garage but they may cause noise but maybe not... so how much is a reaction arm... £300????

And finally the supposidly new clutch will need replacing. £250?

So overall its been a very expensive trip to the garage. They said if i can source the parts they'll fit them and my warranty ive got with a company will pay for all the labour but not the parts.

Does anyone know where to get these bits from and is it worth spending more and getting uprated stuff like lightened flywheel and sports clutch? Thanx

Sorry to here this mate doesn't sound to clever atall.

A jspec 6 speed dual mass flywheel will set you back 300 notes from MR T. If you need one I have the old one off mine you can have for the price of P&P.

Someone somewhere will be able to skim your flywheel as long as they havent ground big chunks out of it.

on the NA it is not worth it.

Lightened flywheels rattle so you wont like that. Someone on here is breaking a NA at the moment. so may be able to get a 2nd hand fly wheel. i'll find the thread.

:yeahthat:

Fit a new stock flywheel and clutch, this is the best option for a stock powered car.

Just to help you a bit more the OEM clutch cheapest i could find in UK was £200. Thats without flywheel.

I got mine from these guys, much cheaper then it was for me back then. thats about £40 with current exchange rate, courier was $80. so in theory about £100 for kit then. I didnt get caught for import tax but its a risk you take.

Also email them first to ask how much to add for shipping to UK. It took 5 days to arrive.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/TOYOTA-SUPRA-LEXUS-SC300-NEW-OEM-CLUTCH-KIT_W0QQitemZ190121276533QQihZ009QQcategoryZ33730QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Just to help you a bit more the OEM clutch cheapest i could find in UK was £200. Thats without flywheel.

I got mine from these guys, much cheaper then it was for me back then. thats about £40 with current exchange rate, courier was $80. so in theory about £100 for kit then. I didnt get caught for import tax but its a risk you take.

Also email them first to ask how much to add for shipping to UK. It took 5 days to arrive.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/TOYOTA-SUPRA-LEXUS-SC300-NEW-OEM-CLUTCH-KIT_W0QQitemZ190121276533QQihZ009QQcategoryZ33730QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Clutch looks good and a very decent price. How much would import tax be on that? Also is SECO a good brand? Thanx

I think tax is usually 17.5% of the cost of the goods plus shipping.

Get the supplier to put a lower value on it and hope it doesn't get checked.

Oh, and make sure they send the invoice separately too, not on or with the parcel!!!

Guest Geneb
if you want toyota stuff phone steve manley up at toyota he does discounts for club members, i ve had lots of stuff off him very good prices 01865291300 give him a ring and find out some prices

yeah pauls right i've had quiet a few bits now, the genuine toyota parts from steve are usually cheaper than from other traders.:)

If I'd bought it from a trader I would go back and make a proper proper scene. Especially if they told you they had changed teh cluth- they MUST have known. I wouldn't leave until the agreed to pay to put it right. Wouldn't let them near it themselves though.

As your warranty will cover the labour but not the parts:

Not that I am saying I have ever done this but could you not get the garage to be imaginative with the labour charge to recoup some of the cost of the parts I am sure there are plenty of friendly garages around???