The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Drive train noise?

Daston

Hey guys

Do you get a slight knocking noise when you come of the power with the 6 speed box? Mine seems to knock if I take my foot right off the throttal and if I am going slow enough for the car to jerk a bit it will knock every time. Is this normal or should I get it checked out?

• 3 months later...
Probably needs a new dual mass flywheel.

I think Chris might be right here ;)

I had a horrible clunking noise on light speed lift off or any low speed dirving. It was caused by two issues:

1) The rubber part of the gearbox mounting bracket had more or less desintigrated due to oil from a leak on the selector shaft corroding it.

2) The flywheel was b*ggered!

Reaplced the mount and it imrpoved slightly, replaced the flywheel and it was 1000% better :) It still clunks a bit, but I think that might be down to the diff.

My car has this same sort of noise too:(

And the car is with chris at the moment, there maybe a few different problems that cause a similar noise, as when chris checked mine he told me to fix i needed:

The

gearbox noise, as far as I can tell, is a badly worn prop shaft centre

sliding joint. The fix would be a new, or known good, used prop shaft

assembly, both front and rear sections.

Phoned toyota and they want £429! and fitting is supposed to be a short'ish job:)

Im sure steve manley could do a decent price on these..

And im sure nic could do even better, but postage weight might cost alot...

cheers fellas - it was fine this morning when driving so its not a constant problem - more of a clicking/koncioking noise - sounds like maybe a loose bracket on the exhaust - or maybe this flywheel thing as mentioned (not sure what that is... is it to do with the clutch?)

Is there any1 around crawley/gatwick area that might be able to have a little looksy for me at all?

I think Chris might be right here ;)

I had a horrible clunking noise on light speed lift off or any low speed dirving. It was caused by two issues:

1) The rubber part of the gearbox mounting bracket had more or less desintigrated due to oil from a leak on the selector shaft corroding it.

2) The flywheel was b*ggered!

Reaplced the mount and it imrpoved slightly, replaced the flywheel and it was 1000% better :) It still clunks a bit, but I think that might be down to the diff.

how much does a dual flywheel cost to supply and fit mate?

someone also mentioned "clutch rattle" ????

thing is my revs are fine...doesnt slip or anything - does that mean its prob not the clutch? also.... it doesnt always do it when the clutch pedal is depressed, does it sometimes between gears or in neutral occassionally at very low speeds!

A what noise? :D

Mine has clonked around in 1st and 2nd forever when driveline shunt is going on. A rattly flywheel shows up at idle more. If you've got the windows down and shift into 2nd gear do you hear a nice noise? :)

-Ian

lol

mine does it when reversing slowly, and occassionaly in 1st gear. i also hear the same noise while in NEUTRAL going down a car park spiral ramp today which baffled me!

took it to the bloke who previously owned it and he checked underneath while i found the biting point, he said the exhaust is solid.

he said it sounds like maybe a chattering of the clutch which appernelty is pretty common , especially if there is an uprated clutch fitted (not sure if mine has or not though!!)

:)