The mkiv Supra Owners Club

removing passenger air bag

SIMON LC

Aren’t you a bit worried about removing a safety device to fit what I imagine won’t be partially useful gauges anyway?

Exactly , the consequences of having an accident and a passenger being hurt are frightening.

Something I would never do, what about your insurance?

I plan on fitting 3 pod gauges in place of passenger air bag but was wondering how easy it is to immobilise the air bag unit.

easy but be careful at the end of the day its an explosive, disconnect the battery and leave everything for about ten mins with the ignition on before disconnecting the bag, keep your head away from it at all times even when disconnected they can still go off i have seen them and its brown trousers stuff good luck and be careful;)

Its only the same as driving a pre facelift that did'nt have an airbag there in the 1st place.

Yes, but why remove something that was designed to protect the passenger?

Could you live with yourself if the unimaginable happened and you had a bad accident?

Madness really.

merckx,

I am in agreement, I was considering doing it to my motor but opted for the pillar option for that very reason. Like you say if you had an accident and god forbid you had a family member in the passenger seat and the worst happened could you forgive yourself. Having a pre facelift with no airbag fitted is completely different as it would not have been your actions that directly resulted in the injury or worse.

I think people who remove active safety devices to fit something that looks shiny haven't had a wake up call on life yet, and it's not something I want dicussed in tech. Junked your ABS to save weight yet? Got rid of the front crash bar to fit a fibreglass bumper?

Do you wear your seat belt? It's just an aid to safety, it's there as an extra.

-Ian

ah 'Safety' means so many different things to different people....

As a passenger would you get in a supra with

A) no airbag?

B) one running almost twice standard BHP?

c) one running with 225 Marrangoni's (insert any sh*t tyre brand) all round?

Me i'd go in any of the above if i knew the driver and was happy with them...........

........the driver is the main safety concern for me as a passenger!

Also IMO an airbag plays a pretty minor role in safety, far less than the structural integrity of the car and the wearing of a seatbelt............

In my opinion anyone who removes any safety device on the car is acting totally irresponsibly .

Infact I honestly cannot understand anyone who thinks it's okay to do this .

Like Ric says, you would rather have shiney gauges and a nice steering wheel rather than dead occupants?

A car isn't written off if your airbag is deployed!