The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Autocar letter - Speedo & MOT

Eve

Folks,

Anyone else spot the letter in 30-05-07 issue of Autocar regarding the speedo dial failing an MOT for only be marked in MPH?

Extract;

"My Japanese-spec Toyota Supra failed its MOT because the dial was only marked in mph, not mph and km/h. Cost me £50 to change it." (page 90)

Anyone experienced this? My dial is only in MPH so I don't know how the garage I bought her from managed to MOT it?? Am planning to replace the dials so will make sure new one does both.

From the govt MOT site:

What does a garage look at during an MOT test?

Components tested during your MOT test:

for cars...

Vehicle identification number - a vehicle identification number must be permanently displayed and legible on a vehicle first used on or after 1 August 1980

Registration plate - condition, security, legibility and format of letters/numbers

Lights - condition, operation, security and correct colour. The headlamps will also be checked to see if the aim is correct

Steering and suspension - correct condition and operation

Wipers and washers - operate to give the driver a clear view of the road

Windscreen - condition and drivers view of the road

Horn - correct operation and type

Seatbelts - all seatbelts installed are checked for type, condition, operation and security. All compulsory seatbelts must be in place

Seats - front seats secure. Front and rear backseats can be secured in the upright position

Fuel system - no leaks, fuel cap fastens correctly and seals securely. The fuel cap will need to be opened. Make sure the key is available

Exhaust emissions - vehicle meets the requirement for exhaust emission. These vary on the age and fuel type of the vehicle

Exhaust system - complete, secure, without serious leaks and silences effectively

Vehicle structure - free from excessive corrosion or damage in specific areas. No sharp edges

Doors - open and close. Latch securely in closed position. Front doors should open from inside and outside the vehicle. Rear doors may need to be opened to gain access to testable items

Mirrors - presence, condition and security

Wheels and tyres - condition, security, tyre size and type, and tread depth. Spare tyres are not tested

Brakes - condition, operation and performance (efficiency test). Suitable vehicles will be tested on a roller brake tester. Vehicles such as those with permanent 4-wheel drive will be tested either on a suitable road using a properly calibrated and maintained decelerometer or, if one is installed at the test station, a plate brake tester

No mention at all!

From http://www.motester.co.uk/mot-qanda3.html

MOTORCYCLE SPEEDO

Does my motorcycle require a speedometer for an MOT?

If not what milage would the Tester put down on the VT20

or VT12? Phil

You will be pleased to hear that the speedometer is not checked in the MOT. The Tester would simply note that the motorcycle has no speedometer. -MOTT

FAULTY SPEEDO

The speedo on my 1994 Alfa 33 16 v 1.7 Sportwagon fails intermittently. Is a faulty speedometer an automatic MOT failure -

Mike Lock

The speedo is not checked for the MOT. -MOTT

I posted this.I'm still annoyed.Apparently it is fairly recent legislation that all speedo dials must read in both mph and kph.For the life of me i don't know why.I phoned various centres here in N.Ireland,and received the same answer:yes,mph and kph.Although one did say that if the car was ok apart from this trivial point,he would let it go.The MOT is the same here as anywhere else in the UK.Autocars answer wasn't clear though.Both mph and kph must be displayed on the same dial at the same time,not a conversion displayed instead of.My car passed the MOT in '05 in England ok and failed here in Nov' '06,just on this point.When this ludicrous rule came in i don't know.

If this is the case, then there must be a cut-off date, or all older cars would be affected.

(There had better be, or all Soarers will be off the road......)

The speedometer has certainly not been checked during an MOT up until now. An import could pass with the speedo reading only kph, for example.

MOT regulations, ESVA regs, and Construction and Use regs are all different.