The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Manual or Automatic?

Guest rbryan

Guest rbryan

Hi everyone. Just joined the club to get some advise hopefully. I'm currently looking to buy a twin turbo, and just don't know which transmission to go for. I think I'd prefer the 6 speed manual, but can anyone give me some info on the auto and/or the tiptronic models? Also, I'm preferably after a U.K TT, anyone have one for sale or know of a good dealer? I'm from the West Midlands, so somewhere locally preferred :)

Can anyone give me a rough guide as to how much I should be looking to pay for a stock U.K TT, under 70k miles in really good condition?

Rob.

There is a button at the top called the search button, the question you have asked have been covered so much, happy reading lol.

Once you have done that it is best you drive both manual and auto and judge for yourself, the autobox is brilliant compared to toher auto box's.

See here for a few details: http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=59334

The tiptronics were only available on the later Jspec models.

UK Spec were available in both 6spd and auto, however numbers are now very small. I'd estmiate around 350 auto's and 60 or so 6speeds are left. You main problem with a UK spec is finding one thats not done massive mileage or in poor condition.

I encourage you to take as many models as you can for a drive. The auto is extremely good, but I wouldn't have one ;)

Guest rbryan

Thanks for that guys. 12,500k is over my budget at the moment :confused: Are there any decent sites about? I've visited jm-imports, but all of them tend to be modified?

So, how do the auto's perform in comparison with the manuals?

Contact Jurgen and explain what you're looking for, he'll be able to find one. I wouldn't bother with anyone else to be honest.

What is your budget exactly? Have much do you have in reserve to do initial servicing and maintain it for the next year? (These are not cheap cars to run!) I'd make sure you have £1k-2k spare for the first few months.

In stock or BPU form the auto's tend to be quicker in a straight line. In my experience, they're much more of a handful on the twisties due to the lack of control over the gearbox and high gear ratio's.

In stock or BPU form the auto's tend to be quicker in a straight line. In my experience, they're much more of a handful on the twisties due to the lack of control over the gearbox and high gear ratio's.

To add on what Homer has said, the autobox also has a MANU button that allows you to hold the car in gear, in manu mode the gears are as follows L = 1st, 2 = 2nd, D = 3rd then switch manu off and it engages 4th. Using manu mode makes the car less of a handfull.

Your T67 vs my Bpu TT auto in the twisties. Who do you fancy?

;)

Rbryan, tbh my advice to you is to have a go in both. The 6sp manual is a more involving drive, but the auto on the TT Supra still remains to be one of the best ever autoboxes built, and was years ahead of it's time. It's no slush box, very responsive, and you always have the rear gear for the right time when you want it. :)

Whatever you choose, you won't regret it.