The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Think my TT is running higher boost.

SIMON LC

I just bought a TT and it seems to be running incredibly quick.By this I mean when 2nd turbo cuts in it almost always spins the rear wheels and cuts the slip control in,usually in 1st but sometimes 2nd as well.All this is happening in the dry so I am dreading the winter.Ok its got cheap brand new 255s on the back but surely this is not normal?What do I look for to see if boost has been tampered with?My standard turbo boost gauge goes off the dial when the 1st turbo blows and then stays there when the 2nd turbo kicks in.

what does your guage read to?

It sounds to me like you should stay off the throttle a bit until you know what it's boosting too. It won't be long before they go pop, or your EGT's go through the roof if you're running massive boost.

A restrictor ring would be in the exhaust somewhere (either before, during, or after your decats.)

From what I can tell its standard apart from changed high flow standard air filter element and fully de-catted poss without restrictor ring.Does this sound about right if restrictor ring is missing?

Yes, put it immidiatelly, otherwise you blow turbos

Shit me this does not sound good.Where do I get a restrictor ring and what size do I need?I thought that you automatically got fuel cut if you over boosted?

Not if it's had a fuel cut defender fitted you won't mate.

Speak to Chris Wilson or any other trader and they'll get you one. You can choose boost limit from 1- 1.2 bar matey :)

BPU

First thing to do, don't drive at full boost until you fit a proper boost gauge, the stock boost gauge on the later cars is crap and tells you nothing. Fit a boost gauge so you know what boost the car is making, if it is over boosting, something WILL go bang if you don't.

Also check under the car to see if it has the stock cats fitted or not. As standard the Supra has 2 cats in the exhaust, here is a pic of the cats.

Once you have the gauge fitted and know what boost the car is making (don't push it over 1.2bar when testing if you can help it), post up the results and we can go from there if there is a problem. Also let us know if it has cats in place or not. It sounds like it is probably running higher than stock boost, but first thing to establish what boost it is in fact making.

Cheers Nic for your top advice.I can confirm it has been fully de-catted (1st and 2nd).My suspicions are that this has been done without any restrictor ring fitted.I think what I will do straight away to be safe is fit a restrictor ring so I know that it shoud be boosting reasonably safe,then fit boost gauge to confirm exact boost.What size restrictor would you advise and where would I get one asap?

Cheers Nic for your top advice.I can confirm it has been fully de-catted (1st and 2nd).My suspicions are that this has been done without any restrictor ring fitted.I think what I will do straight away to be safe is fit a restrictor ring so I know that it shoud be boosting reasonably safe,then fit boost gauge to confirm exact boost.What size restrictor would you advise and where would I get one asap?

Chris Wilson is closest one I think, I would set it max to 1,2 bar, 1bar if you want to be on safe side.

Your right leg can regulate the boost in the meantime, fit the gauge first, for all we know it may be boosting fine and may already have a resrictor ring fitted. First thing to establish is what it is boosting too then go from there.

A cheap mechanical gauge will do the job if you don't want to splash out too much.