The mkiv Supra Owners Club

how would a 500bhp supra fair against a 330bhp civic?

mathew

posted up a few pics of my car on a forum and started a thread about jap cars then get a guy straight away going on about his fathers 330bhp civic beating supras with ease. before i get into an argument with this guy id just like to know peoples opinions. maybe il have to accept defeat in this argument

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Mine probably has a little more than 500bhp, but I cannot see how a 330bhp civic would keep up at any speed. They're both going to have traction issues at low speeds - sub 60 mph (probably more so in the civic), but how the heck can one keep up with a 500bhp rwd car once speeds are up :rolleyes:

depends on where the race is mate, if its off the lights its a very easy kill to the supe all that front wheel drive twitching around in the air for grip would be hilarious, twistys if the supe is well set up with reasonable suspension still a kill, people tend to think of the supra as being a lard bucket that cant handle................until they come up against one:D

I know it seems like a no brainer but our cars are not unbeatable....I think it would be a lot closer than a lot of you think...I remember seeing a t61 vs a turbo civic and the supra got destroyed! might be closer than we all think

Well I know the supercharged CTR runs around 270bhp and gives scoobies more than something to think about on the track so I would reckon it would be close until silly leptons where the civic will run out of revs.

I know it seems like a no brainer but our cars are not unbeatable....I think it would be a lot closer than a lot of you think...I remember seeing a t61 vs a turbo civic and the supra got destroyed! might be closer than we all think

how the hell did that happen, how could a rear wheel drive car get "destroyed" by a front wheel drive giving away 200 hp, i,me struggling with the concept of that mate not just supras but any cars

that sort of power through fwd is going to be a nightmare at the best of times.

ok so the civic weighs f-all, but that's not much help when the one time that helps you (at lower speeds) the thing can't put the power down.

anyway, all a bit academic, but if you arrange the challenge for real can I place I bet please (on the supra :D)

What does a civic weigh ?

i dont know, yes that would be a factor if they were both rear wheel drive (or FWD) but they aint so the lighter weight is negated by superior traction, one squats its arse down and plants its drive wheels and the other lifts its drive wheels up in the air, i am sure you could alleviate this to an extent on a front wheel drive car but it is allways going to be a factor, in a straight line the only way a 300 hp FWD car could beat a 500 RWD car is if the RWD driver was a complete retard:D

as a comparison Dan Patten's best time was 13.2 on the 1/4 mile in his turbo'd CRX with a fair old bit of engine work done (1.8 with lined cylinders etc). That was about 300bhp IIRC. Horrendously unreliable too!

That's pretty quick... can a fwd car with 300 brake really run a 13.2?? Maybe I should try mine backwards next time.

but it also depends on the dyno you are comparing from too. a proper 500 sup means single to me and 500 ponies at the wheels. 300 horses at the front end of a civic will struggle for traction bigtime from 0-80, as soon as single sups get to 3rd gear (60 mph) it's bye bye time.

If you note on the first page..there is a turbo'd civic up here in scotland with around 300bhp or so running 11.2 1/4's....not sure how that compares with a 500bhp supra though.

Cheers

G

I think 500 bhp supras can run 12's? but 11's is a bit much...?

I had terminals of 130 at the pod but throttle sutdown problems and struggled to get under 13..lol

how do you get 11.2 with 300 and FWD??? and do you know what the terminal was?

hard to believe! did he use a time dilation device?

depends on where the race is mate, if its off the lights its a very easy kill to the supe all that front wheel drive twitching around in the air for grip would be hilarious, twistys if the supe is well set up with reasonable suspension still a kill, people tend to think of the supra as being a lard bucket that cant handle................until they come up against one:D

I had a CTR in front of me on some twisties yesterday. Was wondering why he wasn' giving it some beans as it was nice and dry, then realised that he actually was as he cut across the road a few times trying to hit apexes. I just sat on his tail, nice and easy while he made it look oh so difficult. Then when we got to a straight he charged off (again with me in tow). I couldn't be arsed in the end and cruised the rest of the way into town :D