The mkiv Supra Owners Club

N/A or Twin turbo

supraspeed

well the power, i heard somewhere two different engines were used but i mainly mean bhp between the two

NA from the factory around 220(ish) hp

TT from the factory around 320(ish) hp

The TT is a lot more tuneable, for a relatively small amount of money it is possible to get around 380-400hp. The NA you'll get perhaps 20hp extra for similar money.

I'd suggest test driving both and see the difference for yourself before buying.

Its the same engine, in simple terms the TT has added turbos

not QUITE true... i know for a fact my engine bay looks different. for instance that thing (dunno what its called) after the air intake that goes over the top of the engine... isnt there on a turbo. also the distributer ( i think) is in a different place.) and the covers on the top of the engine are different... but inside i guess its the same if u strip it down far enough. Slso filler bottles and god knows what else are in different places.

I dont think its a case of bolting a couple of tubbys onto an N/A and uve got a TT :p

TT engine bay (thanks rob)

vbpgimage.php?do=full&p=6754&d=1176681733

N/A engine bay (mine)

vbpgimage.php?do=full&p=6424&d=1174959199

TT -> Single engine bay (thanks homer)

vbpgimage.php?do=full&p=5081&d=1166307611

Soz but i cant fix the links to make them into pics

All I'll say if if you have a choice between a manual NA and an auto TT is make sure you thoroughly read everything you can on here... Not that I hate my car, I love it lots in fact, I do regret the fact I bought it before coming on here, I dissed the auto as an everyday sh!tty auto, so headed straight for the manual NA... Nowadays I read that the auto box is really rather good (Still not as good for me as a 6-Speed TT (Or Single)), and that very well could have swayed me over to the TT side... I find myself wishing for more power now, which with an NA isn't really an option :(

They share the same block (though the GTE one has extra holes for the oil lines). The pistons are different (GE is high compression, GTE, low compression). The head is different, with different cams and valve sizes. The intake manifold and most of the 'bolt-on' is fundamentally different.

It's not just the engine either, the TT drivetrain has stonger components (aside from the late model 6spd NA's).

(aside from the late model 6spd NA's).

Homer you legend, I didn't know they made 6sp NA's... Now I'm wondering if those parts will be cheaper, if they're from an NA? (Strange logic, but I hope you can see where I'm coming from)...

Homer you legend, I didn't know they made 6sp NA's... Now I'm wondering if those parts will be cheaper, if they're from an NA? (Strange logic, but I hope you can see where I'm coming from)...

They won't be any cheaper as it's the same kit as you get in the TT 6spd ;) The're pretty darn rare. I drove How_supra's one, very smooth it was too :)

DO they share the same block casting though??? I am now at the stage with Skyline engines that I take little as gospel and tend to do my own research. I have just bandsawed a GTR head in two across the guides and ports, and am about to do the same with a GTS-t head. I suspect they will be very different, water passage as well as port wise. If someone has the time and inclination to donate a scrap N/A and TT block I will bandsaw them in several bits and see if they REALLY are similar castings. A dead easy first step it to weigh two bare blocks, accurately. If the TT block is heavier it almost certainly has thicker bore walls, maybe a thicker top deck... The casting numbers are quite different, I suspect internally they are different, too.

Two repected Skyline tuners take all of a "knobble" out of the ports to aid flow, I have already found that port wall integrity is severely compromised by this, as said "knobble" is a bit of casting that gives strength to a water passage around the exhaust valve guides.

Well i have a scrap (well been quoted £800+ to fix the hole in it!) TT block and a stripped bare NA block.

Could weigh them but probably only on a bathroom type scales.

Other than the obvious lack of certain machined parts on the NA block they seem the same.........

I'll try and have a detailed look some time soon.........

They won't be any cheaper as it's the same kit as you get in the TT 6spd ;) The're pretty darn rare. I drove How_supra's one, very smooth it was too :)

No worries, it was worth a thought... Did you save the tissues?...