The mkiv Supra Owners Club

engine warning light tempramental

stevie_b

The orange engine warning light (the one that looks like a picture of an engine, RHS of dash) usually doesn't come on when I turn the ignition key to position 2. The oil level warning lights come on, therefore the instrument cluster is still getting power. I say *usually*, because it sometime does come on (as it's supposed to do when the engine isn't firing), especially if the car's been out for a run earlier.

Has anyone else had this problem, and if so was the cure just to fit a new instrument cluster? I've heard they're not cheap, so I'd rather not buy one unless I know that it's the cause of the problem.

I also know that the 13-year-old soldering on these circuit boards can be a bit dodgy by now, but I seriously doubt my ability to spot a hairline crack in the solder or tracks. I've tried pressing on the display (whilst still fitted to the car) to see if I can get enough flex to close a possible crack, but to no avail.

The same highly complex technique works for my Autobox lights too mate, although as you say - temporarily.

Surely soon enough these cars are going to disintegrate.

Bashing it will provide a temp solution, but will cause it to fail quicker... When you bash it, it will move the solder track slightly possibily making contact, but after a while it will lift the track. For the 10 minutes it takes to take the unit off to refresh the solder, it isn't worth the risk...

*Gets out weller soldering iron ready*

Surely soon enough these cars are going to disintegrate.

Oh my god; don't say that i've only just bought mine and nope, no engine light in ignition 2, do get oil light though.

Anyone else got two handbrake warning lights? One next to oil temp and other in the middle of the rev counter?

Bashing it will provide a temp solution, but will cause it to fail quicker... When you bash it, it will move the solder track slightly possibily making contact, but after a while it will lift the track. For the 10 minutes it takes to take the unit off to refresh the solder, it isn't worth the risk...

*Gets out weller soldering iron ready*

A very good point and one I certainly wouldn't of thought about!

However, may I bring it to your attention that the last time I weilded a soldering iron, this happened!!!!!! :D

Joggers.jpg

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=100917&highlight=Wohoo

(Gets ready to drop Phoenix a PM saying 'hel me - I love you ;) )

More than happy to do it for you chap..Rather be safe than sorry, it doesn't take long to do refresh the solder.

Gav, you are indeed a gentleman. :thumbs: :thumbs:

I'm on holiday soon and might not have time to look at it before then, but I'll come round soon with the unit out of the car. Be good to catch up too, I've been meaning to pop round for a while... :)

Gav, you are indeed a gentleman. :thumbs: :thumbs:

I'm on holiday soon and might not have time to look at it before then, but I'll come round soon with the unit out of the car. Be good to catch up too, I've been meaning to pop round for a while... :)

Not a prob dude... might actually put a little howto for this..

So keep it in your car, and we can do it from square one.