The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Never realised how brutal my car sounded until I let my friend drive

Getrag

One of my good friends and I were out last night, having a little blast around in the cars. He has an immaculate Evo4 with rebuilt engine, new turbo, rs sprint short ration box, evo 8 parts like flywheel and clutch. It goes very fast. After a little while we stop and chat and I ask him to take my car around the block so I can hear it. This is the only person I've ever let do this.

Its a nice desolate area with lots of roundabouts. The first thing to hear of course is that lazy, heavy burble as he pulls away. Its probably my favourite sound of the supra and I've always loved it in videos. Then coming on boost, it sounds like all hell has broken loose as induction roar, exhaust note and dumpvalve all compete to be the loudest. And finally as he returns with engine breaking and perfect downshifting, it sounds like something with a much much bigger engine is coming.

It gave me another appreciation of the fantastic car I/we drive. I definitely recommend it if you havent tried it.

My housemate has always insisted that i need to let him drive my car past me, so i can appreciate the sound... Nice try says I :D the only part of auto ownership i don't like is the initial lack of noise when you pull away, always sounds excellent on a 6 speed :)

I've been told that people can always hear me coming a mile off although I never believe 'em :) I've let my misses drive / borrow the car twice now and both times she drives around the back of the house and within 50 feet you can't hear the car.

That's probably a good thing as I've always told her to drive it slowly .. think I'm gonna have to get the video out and let a mate have a drive around the block .. now who do I pick? :D

think I'm gonna have to get the video out and let a mate have a drive around the block .. now who do I pick? :D

Pick me, pick me!! :p

I was quite surprised at how mine sounds when a mate sat in it and revved it a few times. For a stock exhaust it sounded damn good IMO.